Lawn Care Forum banner

First Hardscape Job. Estimate?

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  White Gardens 
#1 ·
this will be my first hardscape job and i figure i would ask you guys for some advice on the pricing. AS you can see in the pictures there are already rocks in the ditches. The job is to remove all of the rocks from the ditches except for the ditch running along side of my truck. Then pull apart the poorly made retaining walls pictured(old man from her neighborhood did it) and use the bricks to build a retaining wall on each of each ditch around the culverts. Basically put bricks where the rocks are now. 5 ditches total

I have some ideas on the time it will take and it should be all labor no materials needed.

so what are yalls opinion on the time and price for this job?

Plant Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

Plant Road surface Bedrock Tree Groundcover

Bedrock Grass Groundcover Landscape Soil

Bedrock Pollution Slope Grass Groundcover

Road surface Bedrock Wood Asphalt Grass

Plant Grass Flower Road surface Groundcover

Plant Window Tire Building Tree

Plant Tree Land lot Grass Wood

See less See more
#4 ·
There are jobs you should take on and there are jobs that you should not. This is a poor choice of material for this application and clearly a low budget job.

Be honest with yourself. Why do these people want to bring in a completely inexperienced person to do a job that involves fixing something that they did or had done very poorly? Who would recycle material that is inappropriate to protect the erosion of a paved driveway? (an idiot or an extremely frugal person or someone looking to take advantage of someone who does not know what he is getting into or most likely all three)

If you try to fix this, you run the risk of being responsible for everything to do with that erosion and that driveway to which there is nothing on this site that would make me think it was built well.

If you do some searches on this or other similar websites using the key words "pre-qualify" and separate searches using the key words "red flag" it might become clearer.

#8 ·
This can be done, but it will take a lot of work.

First, don't use stone for the base.

Do a 3"-4" footer with re-bar for the base. Then either set the block in the wet concrete, or use a good mortar to set the first course.

Do lots of measuring to makes sure you get the block under the culvert correctly without much fussing.

Be prepared to make lots of cuts also.

Now, personally in this situation the width of the road is a hindrance. The first time a plow or vehicle gets off just a shade, then the wall will take the abuse.

Here is a pick of something I did personally a couple of years ago. All done with concrete and mortar.

2 years later and there is still no movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.