1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

FIrst Job bid help!!

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Clay Hodge, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Clay Hodge

Clay Hodge LawnSite Member

Hey guys my name is Clay and I am starting a new lawn business this spring on my off days from the firehouse to be able to quit my part time job to spend more time with my son and take him with me to teach him work ethic and workmanship. I have got to bid a job that is roughly 0.90 acres and their would be a lot of trimming along a retaining wall. what do you recommend as for bidding to not cut myself short and not to low ball any other people. Also is their any apps out their that help with bidding. I am in the st louis area. any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jake the grass guy likes this.
  2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

Microsoft excel works well,
    Write in all your expenses, figure out your cost per hour to run the business, figure out how long the job will take you, then you have your cost.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Gold Member

It is tough to give an estimate when you are new. This may sounds weird, but I often ask customers what they were paying the last guy.

I say: "I really want to do business with you, and I want to be competitive. What were you paying before?" Then I ask if they will sign up with me if I match that price (assuming it is fair to me). Sometimes it is more than I would have bid.

If the price is low, then I say "Wow, that's a good deal, why aren't you sticking with that guy?" Then they usually tell you, people love to complain. You now have all the ammo to justify your higher price.

4. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

Do you have any photos?

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

I have a bunch of photos.
    049BCEC3-EBB5-4057-9FAD-DFE6949227FB.jpeg

welcome
    To the forum Clay.

Joana Williams likes this.
  6. Joana Williams

Amazing!

Cam15 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Clay Hodge

8. Joana Williams

What kind of equipment do you have?

Cam15 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Clay Hodge

Push mower, Tanaka trimmer and 60in zero turn, and 48in rider hand held and backpack blower

10. Joana Williams

Around here in New York I would charge like $80.00 - $100.00 / Week and that's with me and my partner running this.

But that is because our biggest mower is only a 36" Wright Stander, we do a lot of small properties in our areas with all fences.

I could see people charging $60.00 / Week for this though. Depends how long it takes you at the end of the day. But it's a good amount of weed whacking.

Kim Dinkins and Cam15 like this.