1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

FIrst Job bid help!!

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Clay Hodge, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

$100.00 / Week for you now lol.
    $125.00+ in NY.

1620cwj likes this.
  2. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

It would be hard to mow that for $75. 8-9 trees at least to mow around, there's the bouncy thing that has to move, there was cement thing on the hill, what else. I would give a price to mow. A price to edge and a price to trim. Edge as needed and trim every second or third mowing. Edging and trimming $1/minute.

New mike likes this.
  3. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

Just starting out, bid by how long each task will take you. Figure out what you need to make /hr for each task. Riding mower at $a/hr, blowing and push mowing (a small amount) at $b/hr, and trimming and/or pushing mowing large area at $c/hr.

From my experience as a solo, it is also ok to say I need $x/hr for mowing and $y/for trimming, I "think" it will be around $z for everything but I really want to do first to find out. Don't give out more than 2 rates though. Ball park time spent plus extra for time and switching out equipment and give it as a "if I did everything bid".

Then if they balk at high prices, you can always say but maybe the outer wall or trees or... only need trim every other week. But only after you do the whole thing once or twice do you adjust the price. Better to overbid from the start (and customer will appreciate a drop in rate, even say $5)

Solo (with my equipment, in my area) it would be under 2 hours for $125-150. With a helper, about 1 hr for around $100.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  4. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think its called a trampoline.:laugh: Just mow around it and trim under it every few weeks.

ggb6259 likes this.
  5. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Why would it be less if you had a helper ???
    If it's 2 man hrs it's 2 man hrs period.
    Does not matter who puts in those 2 man hrs.

Love the Green Biz and Cam15 like this.
  6. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Cam, wait to you get in your 60's.... :dizzy:

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL, sorry. I meant no disrespect I just found it kinda funny.....

8. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

Good and fair question, especially for those new to bidding....on this particular job (based on what i can see in the pictures)....

Say solo= 2 man hours (1 person x 2 hours there)
    w/ helper=1.5 man hours (2 people x 45 minutes there) additionally worker is paid a lower rate.

Could I charge more and make more profit % with a helper, sure, but that is not the way I do it.

Some jobs are equal man hours,
    some jobs adding extra people lower man hours,
    and we all try to avoid having excessive man power with very few hours.

9. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Ok.
    Why would it take you solo 2 man hrs.
    But with a helper 1.5 man hrs ?
    So in othe words by yourself there is slacking going on?.
    I'm not be sarcastic at all.
    Normally a solo guy is the absolute most efficient not the other way around.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  10. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

I always hear and read what seems to be an underlying fear that the client will balk at prices for maintenance services. This is partly due to the $20 mow scabs that seem to be in every market in the country and partly due to the clients encountered that simply have no respect or clue about the services to be rendered.

How you present yourself when bidding can go a long way to landing the job at your price. Education in the field so you can "talk the talk" with confidence and poise will help to set you part from the rank and file especially with professionals you may be giving that quote to.

A buddy of mine who built a large maintenance business told me how he did it. In addition to learning everything he could about turf and ornamentals he would arrive at the house and talk with the owners about their needs and wants. If he saw issues with the grass he would get down on his hands and knees and show them the crowns, what fungus or insect pest he thought was present, take a shovel and pry open the turf down 4-5 inches to give them an idea as to the soil texture and then mention what he could do to improve the health and appearance of their turf. Almost every time he did this he got the job with the people saying how "no one else even paid my grass a glance let alone dig right into it and explain it to me". This also landed him much better clients themselves-people who wanted more than the mow and blow folks. He is a master at the upsell and made higher margins on everything else he could do beyond cutting.

Food for thought.