First Job of the Season Went HORRIBLE!

Hazardra Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
So, I got a call at work yesterday from the local O'rielly Auto Parts, wanting me to do their lawn care this season. My second client!
(so far I have one residential and now one commercial, trying for another commercial and might get another residential. just starting out)

Anyway, after work I went home and loaded up my walk behind, my push mower, and my trimmer and headed out. There was a high chance of rain, and I was rushing way more than I should have... I'm not sure if I was worried about the rain or just excited.
So, first thing that happened was I didn't check my kill switch on my Stihl FS46, which was off, so my trimmer flooded. Ok, not THAT big of a deal. Got my push mower out, mowed around everything and areas I couldn't use my walk behind in. Then I FINALLY got the trimmer to run and I used it, IT RAN OUT OF STRING.
Then, I got my walk behind out. First thing with it, it was hard to start for some reason, but I got it running. Barely running... for WHATEVER REASON, the muffler was falling off, the engine seems to be loose, and it wouldn't stay running. so I made a few passes and shut it down. Got back on my push mower and finished a section then shut off the push mower to load my walk behind. when I got back on the push mower again, IT WOULDNT START!
At this point I was livid.. So I blew off the parking lot (company lets me use their blower. cheap Murray handheld cause I only have a battery powered one.) and went home, planning to get a different push mower and to restring my trimmer. When I got there, push mower fired right up. :/
got the trimmer strung, went back, finished the job.
I did get paid and they seemed happy with it. I plan on being MUCH more prepared and calm next time I go out there... taking a different push mower but will have the same one I used the first time for a backup, might have my lawn tractor out there plus the walk behind if I have it all fixed by then (which I should), plus I will certainly make sure my trimmer is strung before leaving. I only didn't take my string because it was one job and I figured I would have enough anyway.

So yea... it was embarrassing. :(

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
Sounds like a rough one. I will tell you and with no offense that this sounds like a lack of proper maintenance and preparedness. Especially for the start of the season. I typically will mow my 3 acres with my zero turn as soon as it comes out of winter hibernation. THis way I can work out the kinks and know it's solid. Then i'll go back to the tractor for my personal yard. Also, the handhelds are always finicky after winter if they were not properly put away. I'm not sure how many accounts you have but one thing to have is a 2nd trimmer just as backup. You dont always have a problem with one but it's so easy to have a backup in case you need it, no time wasted.

Make sure you keep up on maintenance and much of this can be avoided. The good thing is, it can only get better!

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
So, I got a call at work yesterday from the local O'rielly Auto Parts, wanting me to do their lawn care this season. My second client!
(so far I have one residential and now one commercial, trying for another commercial and might get another residential. just starting out)

Anyway, after work I went home and loaded up my walk behind, my push mower, and my trimmer and headed out. There was a high chance of rain, and I was rushing way more than I should have... I'm not sure if I was worried about the rain or just excited.
So, first thing that happened was I didn't check my kill switch on my Stihl FS46, which was off, so my trimmer flooded. Ok, not THAT big of a deal. Got my push mower out, mowed around everything and areas I couldn't use my walk behind in. Then I FINALLY got the trimmer to run and I used it, IT RAN OUT OF STRING.
Then, I got my walk behind out. First thing with it, it was hard to start for some reason, but I got it running. Barely running... for WHATEVER REASON, the muffler was falling off, the engine seems to be loose, and it wouldn't stay running. so I made a few passes and shut it down. Got back on my push mower and finished a section then shut off the push mower to load my walk behind. when I got back on the push mower again, IT WOULDNT START!
At this point I was livid.. So I blew off the parking lot (company lets me use their blower. cheap Murray handheld cause I only have a battery powered one.) and went home, planning to get a different push mower and to restring my trimmer. When I got there, push mower fired right up. :/
got the trimmer strung, went back, finished the job.
I did get paid and they seemed happy with it. I plan on being MUCH more prepared and calm next time I go out there... taking a different push mower but will have the same one I used the first time for a backup, might have my lawn tractor out there plus the walk behind if I have it all fixed by then (which I should), plus I will certainly make sure my trimmer is strung before leaving. I only didn't take my string because it was one job and I figured I would have enough anyway.

So yea... it was embarrassing. :(
Early season equipment problems:hammerhead:
Lessons learned I had a cheap back pack blower before I upgraded ran fine at home brought it to clean up sand worked good for 2 minutes and only had half power wasn't strong enough at half power to move the sand:dizzy: got back home ran fine !! I learned, as soon as had the cash bought a brand new echo best decision I made :cool2: good luck it gets betterThumbs Up

ltdlawn

LawnSite Platinum Member
You should enter that giveaway from top notch and Fall River on YouTube...
being prepared and staying calm is easier said then done. Conducting yourself in a professional manner will get you farther than you think. I never barrow equipment from owners due to the liability if I break it I gotta fix it. Get you a sign in that oreilly lawn TODAY.

OP
Hazardra Lawn Care

Hazardra Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Sounds like a rough one. I will tell you and with no offense that this sounds like a lack of proper maintenance and preparedness. Especially for the start of the season. I typically will mow my 3 acres with my zero turn as soon as it comes out of winter hibernation. THis way I can work out the kinks and know it's solid. Then i'll go back to the tractor for my personal yard. Also, the handhelds are always finicky after winter if they were not properly put away. I'm not sure how many accounts you have but one thing to have is a 2nd trimmer just as backup. You dont always have a problem with one but it's so easy to have a backup in case you need it, no time wasted.

Make sure you keep up on maintenance and much of this can be avoided. The good thing is, it can only get better!

everything was ready. ive used it all already on my personal lawn and had no trouble whatsoever. the push mower is unexplainable, the walk behind can be a little more expected because its always been something with it. just recently had a engine swap done on it but again, worked fine for me.
ive only got one other trimmer which is also a FS46 and it needs a carb and head put on the end.. might be time to just go ahead and get it going :/

OP
Hazardra Lawn Care

Hazardra Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Early season equipment problems:hammerhead:
Lessons learned I had a cheap back pack blower before I upgraded ran fine at home brought it to clean up sand worked good for 2 minutes and only had half power wasn't strong enough at half power to move the sand:dizzy: got back home ran fine !! I learned, as soon as had the cash bought a brand new echo best decision I made :cool2: good luck it gets betterThumbs Up

thats how it goes isnt it? lol
yea I hope/plan to upgrade my trimmer and possibly get a hand held blower this year from the money i get mowing lawns :D
and thanks!

OP
Hazardra Lawn Care

Hazardra Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
You should enter that giveaway from top notch and Fall River on YouTube...
being prepared and staying calm is easier said then done. Conducting yourself in a professional manner will get you farther than you think. I never barrow equipment from owners due to the liability if I break it I gotta fix it. Get you a sign in that oreilly lawn TODAY.

i kinda have entered it lol

i told her i had a battery powered blower i would use and she was like "just use the one we have" and showed it to me and fueled it up like "there you go"
i know the liability thing but might have seemed rude in a way to decline after how she acted. i think the person that did it last year might have used it too so..

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
thats how it goes isnt it? lol
yea I hope/plan to upgrade my trimmer and possibly get a hand held blower this year from the money i get mowing lawns :D
and thanks!
Thumbs UpNothing wrong with a battery powered blower if it gets the job done. Are you doing this full time?

Top Forums