First Job of the Season Went HORRIBLE!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hazardra Lawn Care, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Hazardra Lawn Care

Hazardra Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Male, from Virginia

Sure i appreciate all the advice and such, but I cant go out and buy new equipment left and right with only 3 accounts, one of which is a little push mowing and a lot of trimming once a month. Nor can I put my equipment in the shop for a month to be fixed when i can fix it myself. and it seems to me like people are bashing my stuff, even if just a little, when i know the quality of my stuff. it all is used, and cheap stuff. its all i got. and im doing the best i can with it. If someone like me wouldnt be welcome on a "site for professionals" then i can leave. it seems to me like its a site for all ranges of skill level. which is why im here. I'm not looking for pity or anything of the sort, just sharing my journey. sure, if i could make it bigger than i am now id love that. but this is a part time thing. working a full time job that comes first doing lawn care on the side just honestly for the heck of it. one of my properties is a residential. old man, friend of the family, doesnt have much money. i mow his lawn which would probably be a $100 lawn for only $30 to help him out. i dont need the extra money from this. and me saying that isnt me being cocky money bags or something either.

in the end i do appreciate the advice and the time people have taken to respond. but i wont stand around and let people bash me either. internet has to much of that else where as it is

hort101 likes this.
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

I give up...

JMK26 and knox gsl like this.
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes that's the best thing you can do.

Darryl G likes this.
  4. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Senior Member

Post deletes FTL.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

I was wondering if I forgot to hit "post reply." So I guess it did get deleted...Whatever...

6. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

i appreciate your posting this thread as it brought back memories (good and bad) of when i first started about 10 years ago with about 5 accounts. now i have 150+.

your equipment it not far off from what i started with, but what i did was, spent every spare penny on upgrading my equipment, it will make your life much easier and more enjoyable. do you need to go out and buy a 10k zturn? no and i would advise against that, but you could get a nice low hour used walk behind for around a grand when you have the 1k saved up. same with the hand helds, could get a nice used br600 for around $300, get a new stihl fs90r for $350, for less than 2k you could have a very decent setup, where the only maintenance is oil changes and blade sharping.

if you enjoy tinker with the equipment you have, go for it, its not a problem. i personally do my own maintenance, but i normally average 1 break down per season (roughly 300 hours per mower)i am not bashing you or your equipment when i say this, but it really is just going to keep being a pain in your side, just save up and get some stuff that wont be a headache.
    i hope this doesnt come off as rude, it is not meant to be. i just am offering my advise from learning the hard way myself.

Mr Stripe, Darryl G and knox gsl like this.
  7. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

If you're still in the market for a blower you can get a stihl BG-55 for about $150. That's close to as cheap as they come and for a little scrapper residential blower, they're not a bad blower. I still have my original BG-55, still runs ok. Since upgraded with the BG-86, I'd save whatever $ you can on a blower and put $ into repairs on your WB or replacement of. Good luck out there.

Hazardra Lawn Care likes this.
  8. Hazardra Lawn Care

Male, from Virginia

i appreciate the kind words. and thats what i am considering doing. the push mowers wont be a problem now so i dont have to worry about them (hopefully) but im strongly considering getting a blower today. thats the only thing i really need. and im thinking about trying to swap a different engine onto my wb today as well, but it will be my luck that doesnt go as well but i shall see. ive just now gotten enough money to get a handheld blower (i honestly could have gotten one and a new trimmer all along out of my own pocket but i would like to be able to use only money i get from jobs if that makes sense. keeps overhead lower)

hort101 likes this.
  9. Hazardra Lawn Care

Male, from Virginia

I am hoping a simple engine swap will cure my WB woes today. If it doesnt work out with this engine, I'll have to try to find a different one. thats the only problem with this wb really. (that and the fact its all belt drive. im sure most here know how that goes lol) and im considering getting a blower today as well.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Hazardra Lawn Care

Male, from Virginia

So, like I said, I went out and got a Stihl blower. I got the BG 50 for $129.99 and got the extended warranty by getting the 6 pack of oil. So for $152, I got a blower with a 6 pack of oil and 4 years of warranty. I'm also going to start my engine swap on the walk behind. This engine seems to be pretty good so hopefully it wont let me down. 0421170950.jpg 0421170951.jpg 0421170951a.jpg

Mr Stripe and hort101 like this.