First Lawn App Mailer this year

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I have sent nothing out so far this year. That being said I'm net plus 26 so far this year referrals mostly. But just mailed 2300 jumbo postcards out. I've been mainly mow and trying to make the transition to mainly spray bits it's been a difficult time as every time I think I'm in the spray truck I have a mow guy quit or no show and I've got to jump back into mow mode.

Anyway, hoping for a minimum 30 new customers directly from this late mailing. We shall see. That will be a first year break even then following is profit. I'm ok with a BE for first year customers. Ideally I'd like to get twice that but again we shall see. Really hoping to be more of a spray company than mow company in 2 years.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Tax deduction for 2019, I needed another ... And of course the hope to get customers when things are a little slower for us. I've never sent one at this time of year so I'm curious to see the roi. I'm going to do another in the spring to the same list.

Even if my CPS is 60% higher the way I look at it is I'm still making sales and getting them at the time of year that makes it easier for us to get good weed control vs mid summer after all the pre ems are done. It's a test for sure.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
I do not advertise but I think it’s smart, not only are you advertising at a time when no one else is but now is the best time to fix a lawn if needed. If someone signs up with dirt and weeds in the spring it’s always a rough year especially with no irrigation. As far as mowing goes, most people around here want as little contractors as possible so offering as much as possible helps. If I mowed my lawns would be perfect, keep those blades sharp and you’ll have incredible lawns. Most landscapers I sub fertilization for mow just to get extra work from those accounts. As far as finding good help goes, it’s tough, the best don’t work for peanuts is all I can say. I usually work for other people in the winter and if I'm offered less than 20 I stay home. Not worth lacing up the boots at that point.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Recieved my first estimate request from the mailer today. Got it about 5 min ago. This is the day they hit most mailboxes as I received the one I sent to myself today as well. And got the one call to remove another gentleman from my mail list. No prob.

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Nothing... No call within x days and get y. I have always offered a benefit for the call to action... Like free second app, $25 off first app. This time I'm offering nothing. There's a reason, I needed the room on this postcard for some info about us vs "them" (everyone else). Believe me I was nervous about that. People generally like a hook. This is a new postcard design, different time of year. It's a gamble on many fronts.

I do mention that every KEMCO lawn app customer gets a few things added in the rounds "free of charge" that other companies normally upcharge for. But we have been doing that for years. That was a big part of the message of this mailing... How we stand out from the competition.

tdoeizreal

LawnSite Senior Member
Please keep us updated. I'd really like to hear how many clients you pick up for next year that are switching company's vs first time buyers.

This is for apps only, correct?

OP
kemco

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes. Only apps. Nothing else is mentioned at all. And roughly 10 signed on customers is what I need for first year BE.