• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

First Mulch Bid - Help!

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Member
Hey all!

Got my first request for a mulch job. Thanks to the handy dandy landscape mulch calculator, figured it's about 1.3 cubic yards. Nothing crazy.

When you bid a mulch job, do you just include the mulch cost, as well as time to install, all in one?

The bed is going to take a bit of work, but she wants it to look nice because her neighbor's looks good.

Attachments

OP
One-Man Lawn

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Member
I'd bid it 1.5 yards hardwood mulch at $250 and another $75 or $100 for site prep.
What does site prep entail? I've actually dialed that in at $90 for her already, as I think I can get it done in about two hours, so I'm glad that was close. I was just going to weed it, pull the old weed fabric out, and probably have to dig some of the dirt out to make it a bit deeper. At least along the border, so mulch doesn't pour onto the grass.

That seems expensive for mulch. That's almost $165/yard. Is that your typical rate?

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Senior Member
Site prep is the weeding, fabric Removal and Disposal(R&D) and any digging. The mulch price is high because its such a small job. I cant get my price any lower than $325 for me to show for 2 hours. If this was a job that needed 15 yards of mulch the first yard would be $150 and maybe 75 a yard for the other 14 yards. This isn't something I usually tell the customer, just give them a price of $1200 for 15 yards of mulch.

OP
One-Man Lawn

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Member
Site prep is the weeding, fabric Removal and Disposal(R&D) and any digging. The mulch price is high because its such a small job. I cant get my price any lower than $325 for me to show for 2 hours. If this was a job that needed 15 yards of mulch the first yard would be $150 and maybe 75 a yard for the other 14 yards. This isn't something I usually tell the customer, just give them a price of $1200 for 15 yards of mulch.
I'm trackin'. I'm not gonna charge that high just because this is my first mulch job, and I don't have a lot of clients currently. I do also have her for regular lawn maintenance as well, so hopefully need more landscaping services in the future.

I really like how you may discount the mulch pricing a bit if it's a larger job. I wouldn't have considered that. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I get larger jobs.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
For dump and spread with no prep at all we are now at $85 per yard delivered and installed. That's a price increase from the beginning of the year.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
I price mulch at $95/yard delivered and spread for dyed mulch. I can get it for $30/yard plus tax if I am picking it up, and $45ish delivery fee if I need more than 2 yards. Any bed prep is extra.