1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

First organic aeration/seed

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by slickcav, Oct 3, 2017.

1. slickcav

slickcav LawnSite Member

We have a good rain coming up and I plan on fall aerating and overseeding. I have not had a chance to grab core samples and send off to lab, with that being said, what would be your recommendation for what would be in the synthetic world the seed/fertlizer process.

I was thinking compost top dress would be appropriate?

Also I am not sure which seed to use and have a seed question:

My yard is kentucky tall fescue, but there are areas that end up getting alot more sun than others and even with deep irrigating the grass will still brown.

There are so many seed mixtures/hybrids and I am still new to it all, what would be some recommendations for drought/hard sun exposure resistant seeds? The rutgers guideline "Recommended – Turfgrass Selection Full sun – Use blends or mixtures containing improved varieties of tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass and/or perennial ryegrass. Select low maintenance fine fescues and tall fescues to reduce inputs of fertilizers and irrigation water (Murphy, 1996, and Park and Murphy, 2012, respectively)."

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Since you are quoting Rutgers, is it correct to assume you are in NJ?
    I suggest you visit your local SiteOne for a sun mix of TTTF, Perennial Rye and KBG. Ask for Screamin 8 starter fertilizer and topdress with compost.

Are you sure your turf is not turning brown due to a disease?

On a call likes this.
  3. slickcav

slickcav LawnSite Member

I am located just outside of Delaware in Maryland.

Could be disease?

4. phasthound

Well, you need to know what you're dealing with in order to correct the problem. Bring a sample to your local Extension Agent.
    https://extension.umd.edu/

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you are after small quantities and will buy retail--then I trust Scotts quality.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-Turf-Builder-20-lb-Tall-Fescue-Mix-Grass-Seed-18242/203760995

On the other hand--I was shopping at Homedepot two days ago and in my local store I got bad advice from the guy in that department. As a substitute for Dylox, which I didn't want, he suggested Scotts Grub Ex. I think Grub Ex should only be used in spring and summer. Then he suggested a liquid lawn and garden insecticide with bifenthrin--poor choice. I asked for sevin, but they only had liquid--no granules.
    Good advice--not likely at this store.
    Ace Hardware--maybe. Look for the Scotts "Lawnpro" sign--those Ace store's people have been to a one-day seminar on how to use Scotts products.

6. slickcav

slickcav LawnSite Member

is the screamin 8 all organic? I saw it contains organic matter, but all of the other ingredients I wasn't sure?

7. phasthound

Screamin 8 is organic based. The listed ingredients are Poultry Manure, Biosolids, Ammonium Phosphate, and Sulfate of Potash in that order. It is not considered an organic product.
    Another option is Dynamic Duo 4-3-1 which contains only Poultry Manure and Biosolids. Still not considered organic by the powers that be. Go figure.
    Both are available at many SiteOne Locations.

Maryland Law is very strict on Phosphorus. it is only allowed when seeding or if soil test call for it.

hort101 likes this.
  8. slickcav

slickcav LawnSite Member

Would it be ok if I dont use a product like that, get my sample, aerate and overseed, and topdress with compost?

9. slickcav

slickcav LawnSite Member

really want to have a completely natural/organic lawn.

10. phasthound

Sure, it can be difficult to find good finished compost. I suggest you contact Pogo Tree Care in Olney MD. (301) 774-2968 They have great compost.