Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly install water features but had a good friend ask to build a retainer wall for him. I have to say wow this was easy compared to stacking boulders. I've built alot of formal and informal ponds with dry stacked limestone or true 6" venner limestone. Having stones (blocks) that were all the same and flat made it so easy. After leveling the bottom run off it went. Yes I did check with manf. to make sure it would be installed correctly, geotextile, pins, 3'-4' gravel, drains and fabric. I hope to get more of these.

Plant Flower Road surface Tree Grass

Road surface Wood House Building Flowerpot

Plant Tree Land lot Road surface Grass

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a homeowner, I am considering installing a retaining wall such as you did, can you please share with us the manufacturer of the blocks. I like the look of what you did, and would like to find out if the blocks are available in my area. Thank you for sharing the information.

Cagey

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
.....Yes I did check with manf. to make sure it would be installed correctly, geotextile, pins, 3'-4' gravel, drains and fabric. I hope to get more of these.
Ok, one thing concerns me.

You stated you "did check with manf.".

Ok, I see a wall that is over 4-feet in height. Typically, the rule of thumb is that walls over 4-feet in height be engineered by a geo-technical engineer.

This is primarily for liability purposes, as well as a CYA on your end. An engineer will address surcharge, global stability and technical stuff that ensure's the walls will remain intact 30 years from now. This is important. The liability for building such walls carries through forever.

I have a buddy that is in the residential driveway paving business. He always says "a driveway is only as good as what's under it.

Same goes for walls. Segmental and/or mortared.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point. Now if I was building this for a client or commercial job it would've been done. Like I said this was for a good friend and she needed this done quickly and wouldn't pay for any extra expenses. Would've walked away if another client was to tight to do the job correctly.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Larry,

I can relate! I think we all have friends and neighbors whom we do work for under same terms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.