First Spray rig q's

todslandl

LawnSite Member
Hey guys I am a long time browser and decided to go ahead and sign up.

Im looking at purchasing a sprayer that is used and has a briggs 5hp engine (briggs isn't my favorite but all well) and has a Hypro 5210c piston pump on it. A friend of mine that owns a pest control company said that he has a piston pump rig that has lasted for near 30 yrs now and said that was the way to go.

What are your opinions? Roller pump? Piston? Centrifugal? Diaphram?

Anything else I need to look for or stay away from?

Thanks very much, I appreciate ya'lls insight and experience.

OP
T

todslandl

LawnSite Member
Also they guy Im looking at buying from said the application hose is 3/4". Am I going to hate myself later for having to drag that size hose around?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Piston pumps put out some tremendous pressure, however ones that can push the volume tend to be big and expensive. I would have no problems using a piston pump for lawn applications. My application tools are unconventional and made to work with lower volumes and more pressure though. The typical lawn gun with the sprinkler nozzle needs a low pressure, high volume pump to work well, otherwise you get a burst of high pressure when the trigger is pulled. You are going to need the 3/4" hose even though it is heavy and a PITA to handle unless you are willing to use pressure regulated spray wands or booms instead of the lawn gun. I run 300 ft of 3/8" hose with a 550 PSI pump. But no lawn gun.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Totally agree with Greendoctor. My rig has an Hypro 454 with the high pressure capacity to 200PSIG. Piston pumps are heavy and big. A lot depends on your client or just yourself. I built my rig that is light enough to slide onto the truck OR back on a small wagon that I can pull to another section of pavement over the lawn if needed. I'd stick with the 3/8" hose. That 3/4 will wear you out dragging it. My hose is only 150' but being able to maneuver the small wagon lets me finish a 15K lawn in an hour. Timewise, it takes longer to mix up the fertilize Rx than to apply with a 5' boom. We generally are applying fertilize at 4gal/K which causes me to have to refill the small tank a second time for a 15K lawn. But that gives me a break from thinking and watch so carefully not to overlap or work around foundations, beds, trees etc. No gun here either.

OP
T

todslandl

LawnSite Member
So you're saying I can use a gun if I use the 3/4" hose? But I I swap to a smaller hose I have to use a wand? Or did I misread that? That pump will put out up to 10 gal/min but not sure how much it'll push with that particular engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
You read correctly. The Hypro 5210C pumps are good for 400 PSI and 10 gallons per minute. There would be no problem running smaller hose. However mind what I said about how unregulated lawn guns act at high pressure. Lawn guns need 4 GPM at less than 50 PSI measured at the gun in order to work correctly. They also cannot be operated at pressures over 200 PSI, they'll burst. The only way to get 4 GPM at the end of a smaller hose is to crank up the pressure. My triggers, etc are all brass or stainless steel and made to operate at 500 PSI.

OP
T

todslandl

LawnSite Member
Your tools are probably more expensive than just the guns then, correct? I may just get the cheap lawn gun at first and deal with the large hose until I can save up and swap hoses and tools to nicer ones. Sound like an OK plan? How would I go about calibrating this thing once I get it? Just figure out how much I need per K and then figure out how fast I walk that K and do some math and regulating?
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Tods,
your system should work. You didn't mention if you plan to use liquid fertilizer and herbicide together--if so you need to apply about 3 gallons per thousand sqft. Since most applicators walk at about 1500 sqft per minute, you need about 4 gallons output at the gun per minute.

HOWEVER...if you are planning to spray weeds with the rig and not apply much fertilizer...you don't need much pressure or volume; you can use a 3/8 hose with no problem.

You are right about the calibration. Spray into a 5 gal bucket. Determine your gallons output per min with water. (OR...4 gal per min fills a 2.5 gal jug in 37.5 seconds.)(Make an Excel spreadsheet showing gallons per min, and the seconds required to fill a 2.5 gal jug.) Get a friend with stopwatch to time you and go to your mother's lawn. Spray with water on a measured 1000 sqft. Or perhaps 5000 sqft for better average accuracy. Repeat until you can get it within 10 percent of perfect, every time.

Mix herbicide accordingly, try to achieve between 100 and 110 percent of the label rate.

OP
T

todslandl

LawnSite Member
Thanks Riggle. Ill only be applying herbicides through the rig and applying granular fertilizer. No liquid fertilizer. Some of the herbicide labels I've been reading suggest about a 2gal/K application. And If I walk at approximately 1,500 per min that means I would need 3 gal per min at the nozzle correct? So I should fill a 5 gal bucket in 100 seconds or 1 2/3 mins. That a good rate at which to spray weeds (pre/post-emergents)?

All of this assuming I travel the average walking speed of course (which I have not measured yet)... Im just making sure I'm on the right track with the math.