1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

first stick edger.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWnENFORCER, Mar 27, 2002.

1. LAWnENFORCER

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

I just used my first stick edger today. It's a Echo pe-2400. I know there are many who say they can do just as good or better w/ a trimmer, but I must say this thing will pay for itself fast. I edged a yard today that normally takes me 10 minutes. With the Echo it took me 3. For those of you out there who are not "master trimmers" like LGF; get a stick edger.

Just wanted to brag a liitle.

KB LAWN SERVICE
    CENTRAL TEXAS

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty good with a trimmer, but nothing can compare to a stick edger. At least now with bermuda.

Stihl stick edger is the way to go for me.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am fully proficient with both a stick edger and string trimmer. A stick edger is best for hard edges (e.g. where grass meets concrete) and a string trimmer is best for soft edges (e.g. where grass meets a flowerbed).

The string trimmer will make a more crisp edge than the stick edger will on soft edges and if you are good at it, you can always go faster with a string trimmer. But a string trimmer will NEVER do as good a job on hard edges as a metal blade will (e.g. stick edger).

The stick edger will make a great edge in either case, don't get me wrong. They're great. And your edges will look just fine if you do them all with a stick edger. But I just prefer the edges to be as crisp as possible and soft edges just look a tad better when done properly with a string trimmer.

4. LAWnENFORCER

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

Jim,

I agree with you on the flower beds. It is a little difficult to run a stick edger on any type of grass. In TX most of the nicer, irrigated lawns have st. augistine. St. Aug. is a hard grass with thick roots and a string trimmer usually will not make crisp, clean edge; unless you edge a couple of times.

I guess it really boils down to how good one is w/ a triimer and more importantly, what type of trimmer is being used.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I for one am NOT very good at edging with a string trimmer, I admit, thats why I own and use a stick edger. (Echo PE2400) It's one of those tools I should have bought a long time ago but didn't think I had any use for it. Boy was I wrong, I'm wearing that thing out.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

KB Lawn and others,

Be sure to change that blade OFTEN on your stick edger. Especially if you are using it a lot against hard edges. We change ours twice a week, or about every 40 lawns.

If you don't change the blade often the edge quality goes down. If you don't believe me, just try edging half of a lawn with the older blade then switch to a new one half way through. BIG difference!

7. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just got to play with my new FS85 split boom edger, works great.

I couldn't ever have gotten that good of an edge with a trimmer. :rolleyes:

8. johnhenry

johnhenry LawnSite Senior Member

Stick edgers are the way to go. Like Jim said change the blade alot.Down here in the ozarks if I get 20 lawns out of a blade I am lucky.