• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

First system I’m installing!

neblawncare23

LawnSite Senior Member
So I decided to start installing after 10 yrs of the Repair game. First property I’m doing is residential
And huge. Measured it out, I’m going to need 120 heads give or take. I got 55gpm well and 60 psi. Already have 1” main ran. What can I do for heads per zone and what nozzles per head. Going to be using 1” poly pipe for all.

TX Easymoney

LawnSite Platinum Member
So I decided to start installing after 10 yrs of the Repair game. First property I’m doing is residential
And huge. Measured it out, I’m going to need 120 heads give or take. I got 55gpm well and 60 psi. Already have 1” main ran. What can I do for heads per zone and what nozzles per head. Going to be using 1” poly pipe for all.
all this is covered in the information you studied for your exam...though if your state didn't require it, it should. Do your pressure loss calcs and post those if you want help...licensed guys abhorr spelling it all out for those that lack the license. if you have a license disregard and carry on.

OP
N

neblawncare23

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow thanks for the help guys! No license is required in Nebraska

OP
N

neblawncare23

LawnSite Senior Member
Because that’s what the plumber stubbed up off the well. Ik 2 inch would be ideal, but that’s what I have to deal with.

OP
N

neblawncare23

LawnSite Senior Member
So if I connected to the 1 inch that’s stubbed up out of ground with 2 inch and ran 2” mains to valve boxes would I get more gpm? Or do I need the 2 inch to come directly off the well?

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Check out friction loss charts for the type of pipe you are using. If you ACTUALLY have 55gpm AT 60psi you will need larger pipe than 1" to handle that kind of flow if you plan to take advantage of it which I assume you will since you mention the property is huge. Check out the charts (Rainbird or Hunter supply them) and get back with us

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Senior Member
Be worth YOUR time to dig down and install 2” off the well. A couple other variables are #1- does the house or property have a geothermal system and if so leave designated proper gpm for him. #2- leave a few gpm for house or whatever other things are running off the well. Sounds like you have plenty of well! Don’t burn it up necking it down to 1”. Unless of course it’s a constant pressure dc drive system capable of such. I also agree with the guys above that are pointing you toward line loss charts etc. We studied those a bit when first began installing.