Lawn Care Forum banner

First time I've had a check bounce on me!!!

7K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  zachj265 
#1 ·
So I picked up a new customer the other day that seemed pretty promising. He had just bought a house in Kansas City and the yard was in really bad shape. The guy went on and on about how he wanted a complete renovation next year and he needs a full time lawn service provider. I'm thinking, "hell yeah!". I'm only in my 3rd month of business and I need all the business I can get! He had a blank canvas to work with and I saw a lot of potential for business with the guy. I go over there for a leaf cleanup, was there for 2 hours, and charged him $120.00. He wrote me a check and I was on my way. So I'm sitting down at my desk today and literally JUST got done signing his Holiday Greetings card when my wife called to inform me that his check had bounced. Now like I said, I'm new here and DO NOT have a ton of money in my business account, so it made my account go negative because I had just an hour before that, went and bought a half pallet of ice melt for this winter.

I go to call the guy and what do you know, his cricket cell phone is no longer in service. The guy practically lives in the ghetto and I don't know how I feel going and knocking on his door about this. I always stay out of areas like that for obvious reasons but was just kind of making an exception this one time.

Should I just live and learn or bug this guy till he pays up? I understand it could be a big misunderstanding and maybe he'd gladly fork over the money, but then again, seeing the people coming in and out of his house when I was there, and a little bit of racial profiling, I'm a bit nervous on doing that.

What do you think?!?!:confused:

See less See more
#27 ·
Obtain the bad check from you're bank. Take the bad check to any branch of his financial institution and request the money. Continue attempting to wiithdraw the funds at his bank and when he has sufficient funds in his account the will give you the money. As far as legal action it's a waste of time unless he wrote his SS#, name, phone, and address on the check. If you want to obtain intel on this prick search his name on case.net for Missouri. On this site you will find all judgments, criminal history, and garnishments. If you find garnishment records his employer will also be listed. You could approach him at his employer instead of the ghetto. I spent 7 years in banking before going full time in landscaping. I worked in KC and became very familiar with all aspects of dealing with a deadbeat. Good luck. Send me a message in private if you have questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

#28 ·
Why not? You seem to be able to pay for everything else in this town with an EBT card. I wonder if my paypal swiper would recognize it? Too bad I don't know any gummint moochers to test that on.
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL

make him a deal where he comes to the grocery with you and pays for your groceries. The going rate for this service is .25-.50 on the dollar. So you end up getting 100-125 dollars worth of food for a 50 dollar cut

#29 ·
Since he is paid on the 1st and 3rd take his check to his bank on the 31st and request the money. That pos does not get paid on the 1st (it's a bank holiday) therefore if he has direct deposit the transaction for the 1st will be initiated late evening of the 30th and available for withdraw on the 31st. Assume that he has several other bills scheduled for withdraw on the 1st, hence you need to beat his creditors to the money because inevitably his checking acct will be wiped out either by them, him withdrawing the money (not to pay you), and NSF fees.
Posted via Mobile Device

#30 ·
Since he is paid on the 1st and 3rd take his check to his bank on the 31st and request the money. That pos does not get paid on the 1st (it's a bank holiday) therefore if he has direct deposit the transaction for the 1st will be initiated late evening of the 30th and available for withdraw on the 31st. Assume that he has several other bills scheduled for withdraw on the 1st, hence you need to beat his creditors to the money because inevitably his checking acct will be wiped out either by them, him withdrawing the money (not to pay you), and NSF fees.
Posted via Mobile Device
Great stuff Zach, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

#31 ·
Obtain the bad check from you're bank. Take the bad check to any branch of his financial institution and request the money. Continue attempting to wiithdraw the funds at his bank and when he has sufficient funds in his account the will give you the money. As far as legal action it's a waste of time unless he wrote his SS#, name, phone, and address on the check. If you want to obtain intel on this prick search his name on case.net for Missouri. On this site you will find all judgments, criminal history, and garnishments. If you find garnishment records his employer will also be listed. You could approach him at his employer instead of the ghetto. I spent 7 years in banking before going full time in landscaping. I worked in KC and became very familiar with all aspects of dealing with a deadbeat. Good luck. Send me a message in private if you have questions.
Posted via Mobile Device
You sure case.net is the website?
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.