First time side discharge

Tb582

LawnSite Member
Ok so I removed the mulch kit from my z920M, meaning the baffles gates etc. I had to keep on the stock “mulching blades” that came with the kit though. ( I ordered G6 Gator blades but got the wrong size so reordered).

The mower didn’t bog down at all, but it discharged a ton of grass so my lawn looks bad now lol.

I guess two things:

1. yes, I took off more and 1/3
2. Keeping the stock mulching blades was not good (though I had no other choice atm)

just looking for some validation that my next mow isn’t going to look like this lol - otherwise I might be putting the mulch kit back on lol.

DF7C58F3-C94D-48BC-8F2F-04C1CD704FD1.jpegAC77E425-CF22-4B62-AECE-A711B9405397.jpegF642A9C1-F321-403D-ADE8-9323AD60E801.jpegA3A7561D-1435-4D61-B493-EA833B29BBBB.jpeg

HEMTT

LawnSite Senior Member
Once you get some lift you'll see a world of difference, wavy munchers aren't very good for northern grasses, they just lay down and stay there, especially when mowing long grass at a 3.5-4".

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
You're allowed to go the other way and not blow the grass in the beds. I make 2 laps around the perimeter first.
For those of you who don't come from an agriculture background, outlining the perimeter of a field ( yard) are called making headrows .
You make 2-3, depending on how far your deck shoots grass. You then use the headrows to turn around your equipment in. In the ag world this keeps your equipment from crushing your valuable crop.
You can also make your turns so that the open side of the deck is always away from the perimeter.
The principal behind this is, " the best way to clean up a mess, is to not make one in the first place.
Followed by, " if you didn't have time to do it right the first time. How will you find time to do it over?"

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
just looking for some validation that my next mow isn’t going to look like this lol - otherwise I might be putting the mulch kit back on lol
I would get the stock JD high lift blades before deciding on putting mulch kit back on. In my experience G6s will leave stragglers on Northern grass. The downside of the smaller clippings is disrupted air flow under the deck and less vacuum.

OP
Tb582

Tb582

LawnSite Member
Once you get some lift you'll see a world of difference, wavy munchers aren't very good for northern grasses, they just lay down and stay there, especially when mowing long grass at a 3.5-4".
Yeah, when you cut too much off with the wrong setup, you'll get a mess.

What deck height did you cut at?
here’s hoping, new blades come next week, it’s cut at 3”

You're allowed to go the other way and not blow the grass in the beds. I make 2 laps around the perimeter first.
Only time I spray clippings like that is when mowing some long grass!

Also you need to point that chute away from your beds.
haha yup figured that out pretty quick - few more times mowing I should have it down!

I assume the best way to clean this up is let it sit for and day and re-mow? Or do I need the new blades first?

OP
Tb582

Tb582

LawnSite Member
I would get the stock JD high lift blades before deciding on putting mulch kit back on. In my experience G6s will leave stragglers on Northern grass. The downside of the smaller clippings is disrupted air flow under the deck and less vacuum.
interesting … the G6’s are already on their way so I’ll see how they do .

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
It looks like a lot was taken off to leave that much mess behind, so IME, it's best to try to minimize it right away rather than leave it to dry because dried clippings tend to just blow around more than be chopped up once they get tougher and lighter from the drying. out.

Cut it at at least 1/2" higher for the second pass so that more air can get under the deck to mix with the clippings and spread them around better. If you have to, make a third pass even. Some will go across the clippings on the second and/or third passes. I go the same way on the second and if need be go at an angle across them for the third.

After this, don't wait so long to cut the grass. BTW- for the 920, you will find that the G5's will be a better choice as they are lighter and spin easier. I use them under my 950 as a matter of fact and never use my G6's anymore. In a mess like that in the pic, the oem high lifts are the best choice.

Last edited:

Top Forums