First time side discharge

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
It's easy to see what is going on just by looking at the dark and light stripes whether they have clippings all over them or not. He is going back and forth and the crap on his pass right in front of his mower was clearly shot over there by a previous pass.

OP- Try mowing at 4.5 on your first pass, then dropping down to 3.5 for the second/final pass when the grass is that long. It makes each pass's clippings fairly short so they hide better (in plain sight so to speak), but verify that the dial and actual HOC match.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Right … alternating. Is that not right? … can of worms
For regular mowing, I mow back and forth with straight lines.

In the fall for leaves, I'll mow from the outside blowing the leaves in resulting them to make them disappear, then back and forth to make the lawn look good and get rid of final debris.

For a knock down mowing, I'll do circular mowing, blowing out to not overload the deck, then back and forth to make the final cut look better and disperse clippings.

OP
Tb582

Tb582

LawnSite Member
Then you need to cut more often.
FML
Alternating is good. I think the confusion is that it looks like you blew the grass into the uncut grass on the pass before the one that shows your mower, so going the same way. But that grass blew over there two passes ago when you were going the same direction, right?
Correct.
It's easy to see what is going on just by looking at the dark and light stripes whether they have clippings all over them or not. He is going back and forth and the crap on his pass right in front of his mower was clearly shot over there by a previous pass.

OP- Try mowing at 4.5 on your first pass, then dropping down to 3.5 for the second/final pass when the grass is that long. It makes each pass's clippings fairly short so they hide better (in plain sight so to speak), but verify that the dial and actual HOC match.
Two passes, sigh that’s double the work :)
For regular mowing, I mow back and forth with straight lines.

In the fall for leaves, I'll mow from the outside blowing the leaves in resulting them to make them disappear, then back and forth to make the lawn look good and get rid of final debris.

For a knock down mowing, I'll do circular mowing, blowing out to not overload the deck, then back and forth to make the final cut look better and disperse clippings.
Killing me! Mowing in a circle… though I do circles around my trees
WHEW
lotta info here lol
OP how bout a cut three times a week for 2 weeks, then post some pics?
I bet there won't be visible clippings. lol
3x a week! You crazy!

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
FML

Correct.

Two passes, sigh that’s double the work :)

Killing me! Mowing in a circle… though I do circles around my trees

3x a week! You crazy!
Three times a week .... for one week ... just to get it into under control.

I know I've said it earlier in this thread, but when your grass is growing really well a lot of times you need to plan on cutting it twice a week, for it to look decent.

I'm actually in someone of a similar boat to you about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago my mower bit the dust and the lawn went unmowed for about 10 days until I got a new one.

I took delivery of the new mower last Tuesday. There were areas of my lawn over a foot high. I fertilized regularly and irrigate as well so it was crazy thick. Anyways to get it under control I've been mowing it at 5 inches and mowed on Tuesday Thursday Saturday and again last night. For mows later and it's just about starting to look decent.

I irrigate enough where if I want it looking good, I have to mow my lawn twice a week all season long regardless, though.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Okay. Ordinary unirrigated and unfertilized "Little Old Lady" lawn a bit overgrown. Photos of two different areas cut at 3.5 inches and then a second time 1/4 inch higher. Not much difference in time for me to cut a half dozen rows in each area that have a lot of clippings left on top a second time but a huge improvement in looks. Still a little but of grass on top but good enough to satisfy my pride and more than enough to satisfy my customer.

I could have bagged or I could have hit the area with my blower after the first cut. Or I could have gotten there last week on schedule and cut it
IMG_20210720_145923251_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210720_150114616.jpg
IMG_20210720_150807207_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210720_151110578_HDR.jpg

OEM high lift blades on a Bob-Cat Dura-Deck.

Top Forums