First time

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by sehitchman, Jun 16, 2019.

1. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a chainsaw and hedge trimmer taken off my tailgate. Was only away and out of sight in the backyard for less than 5 minutes.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about that. No that doesn't feel good. Did you hear a vehicle pull up while you where away?

3. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I've had equipment stolen and can empathize. Five minutes, you say? An accomplished thief only needs 20 seconds, and targets people who don't lock up their stuff. I learned after the first time to always keep equipment locked no matter where I am. The only unlocked piece will be the one that I am currently using.

4. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

Ive had 6 blowers and 1 line trimmer stolen from my trailer over a 2 year span. They were even locked! They used bolt cutters and cut locked the locks and took them. Thats why i got me an enclosed trailer now with some nice locks that you cant cut. My brother in law is a lock smith and got me some good locks. I feel your pain though.

5. Smithlawns86

Smithlawns86 LawnSite Member

I had a stihl br600 blower stolen July 3rd. On a job that I can watch my truck closely or so I thought... the GOOD NEWS is I have a dash cam facing out my rear window. I was able to find the guy the very next day at a gas station in July 4th and I had my blower back first thing July 5th. The guy pulled in a minute after I rolled off my trailer and as soon as I went around the corner in just a couple of seconds he was off with my blower. A lady that saw him thought he was with me. I now have racks that let me lock everything individually. It’s a pain but so was the lost hours hunting down the thief and my equipment.

6. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Link to these locks?

7. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

I'll have to ask my brother in law what they are called and where to get them. I'll get back with you.

8. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Equipment defender for all my trimmers and blowers and chsinsaws, trimmers, etc...when I take them stay locked in back seat of my crew cab trucks. I tell my guys, I know I can't do this it's more of a scare tactic, that if something is stolen they didn't lock up its coming out of their check. Again, I know I can't do that but they're gullible. I wouldn't do that to them anyways

Marshall's Yard Service and agm like this.
  9. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive made my crew pay for some stolen equipment many years ago.