Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Sooooo, I wonder how this turned out? Probably like a few others over the years that have been given some ideas/advice and then are never heard from again!

Grassmonkey0311, I always enjoy your posts, and like me, they are brutally honest!

Had some young guys talking to me today, checking out my rig! Currently running a 35hp rouge bad boy and revolt stander! These three wanting to tell me I must be new, and these weren’t really” commercial” mowers! Told them the revolt was the 6th bad boy I’ve owned! Thought they were great, and dealer service was spot on! They were surprised to hear over the years I’ve had hustlers, husqvarna, toro, scag, and John Deere!

Don’t think they were ready for “they all break down”, nor could they believe I was charging $55 to 60 for lawns! They said they were lucky to get $30! I told them find better people to work for!

What struck me was the head guy said he doesn’t like to have bosses, I replied I have 40 different bosses, there called my clients!

JaredPhillips

LawnSite Member
It all depends on the demand in your region. I started my one-man business in 2013, and I've had to turn-down customers every year. I still turn them down weekly. I work full-time as a firefighter, and do lawns on my day off. I mow 12-15 yards a week by myself. The standard rate is $35 for a standard residential. Goes up from there. My first year, I made up yard signs and flyers, and I had 15 customers before I could blink. They were coming in so fast, I had to drive around and pick-up all my signs. From then on, it was all word-of-mouth. My first couple of months, I bid jobs too low, and I took every job. I've learned a lot. Now my lowest rate is $35, and I pick and choose what I want. I pick jobs that have minimal weedeating, and my 54" Zero-turn MUST fit through the back gate. (I do not push mow)

I had a few customers that were picky, and wanted me on a certain day in a certain time frame. I weeded those out also. My firehouse schedule changes every week, and so does the weather. Some months I mow mainly on Wednesdays, sometimes on Tuesdays, some weeks on Thursdays. Some weeks its whenever I can get to it.
I still maintain a usual 12-15 yards, plus a few "one-time" services thrown in here and there, by word-of-mouth only.

The bottom line is, do a good job, set yourself apart in the market, and people will come to you.

I use Square and accept debit/credit cards. I also take paypal, Venmo, checks and CASH. I use InvoiceHome.com for all the customers who wish to be billed monthly. All the others, leave a check under the door mat, or I swipe their debit card, or they hand me cash if they're home.

I use an app called Verifly for insurance. Cost me $200 for the season for $1million in coverage.

I pay $100 a year for a local tax professional to handle my taxes, deductions, expenses, etc.

It can be very profitable if you're smart and do a good job. Let me know if you'd like to talk further.

NormP

LawnSite Member
Had some young guys talking to me today, checking out my rig! Currently running a 35hp rouge bad boy and revolt stander! These three wanting to tell me I must be new, and these weren’t really” commercial” mowers! Told them the revolt was the 6th bad boy I’ve owned! Thought they were great, and dealer service was spot on! They were surprised to hear over the years I’ve had hustlers, husqvarna, toro, scag, and John Deere!

Do you have the "new" (I guess) Revolt that Bad Boy introduced late last year? I'm really drawn to Scag and Wright, but honestly not being a mechanic, I can't see how the Bad Boy is less of a mower if most of the brands offer the same general engine choices and the frame/deck are well constructed. There's a dealer near me, and I rode around on the Bad Boy at GIE last fall, but standers of any brand are still pretty rare around here, so I'm looking for feedback.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I like it, pretty simple design, plenty of power, use it a lot versus one of the 30 inch toro turf masters I have! Nimble, and quick! Not really impressed with the blades, but I’ve always been a fan of the gator blades and will be replacing them! Got the 48 inch deck! At gie, had been told they were making it in a 36, guess not for this year!

Sold 2 cat diesel bad boys, a 72 and 61, very low hours, got $2000 less than I paid for them 4 years ago! Good mowers, just wasn’t doing or bidding any more big ( 4 acres or more) properties!

I’m a big fan, the dealer I gave is beyond good! I’m a huge fan, and as posted, have had a variety of commercial mowers! As I told those three guys, “ they all break down” and any guy that tells you he has a 3000 hour super z that he only had to put s belt on is full of it! Makes for interesting reading I guess!

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I like it, pretty simple design, plenty of power, use it a lot versus one of the 30 inch toro turf masters I have! Nimble, and quick! Not really impressed with the blades, but I’ve always been a fan of the gator blades and will be replacing them! Got the 48 inch deck! At gie, had been told they were making it in a 36, guess not for this year!

Sold 2 cat diesel bad boys, a 72 and 61, very low hours, got $2000 less than I paid for them 4 years ago! Good mowers, just wasn’t doing or bidding any more big ( 4 acres or more) properties!

I’m a big fan, the dealer I gave is beyond good! I’m a huge fan, and as posted, have had a variety of commercial mowers! As I told those three guys, “ they all break down” and any guy that tells you he has a 3000 hour super z that he only had to put s belt on is full of it! Makes for interesting reading I guess!
Norm, I agree as well, I feel the build quality is good, and they seem to improve the product year to year!

It’s interesting , the bad boy haters want to tell you how bad they are, but have never owned one or tried to use an mz elite as a commercial unit! Not going to work!

I did look at a wright, but went with the revolt!

NormP

LawnSite Member
I'll end up buying the one I feel best about, even if it turns out to be the "wannabe commercial" Bad Boy. I don't care if people think it makes me look like a hack, as long as it's performing well and making money for me.

That being said, we have a relatively new exmark dealer nearby that treats me like the biggest company in town anytime I come in, even if I'm just buying a 3 dollar blade for my stick edger. Always remembers my name, answers all my questions, etc. So he's pushing hard for me to buy a Staris, and it has my interest.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll end up buying the one I feel best about, even if it turns out to be the "wannabe commercial" Bad Boy. I don't care if people think it makes me look like a hack, as long as it's performing well and making money for me.

That being said, we have a relatively new exmark dealer nearby that treats me like the biggest company in town anytime I come in, even if I'm just buying a 3 dollar blade for my stick edger. Always remembers my name, answers all my questions, etc. So he's pushing hard for me to buy a Staris, and it has my interest.
That’s a good sign and well worth looking into! My dealer ensures I’m back out even if it means taking a part of a new one!

We own a large cattle ranch and are looking to buy another tractor, we currently run John Deere! My guy is getting in a tractor brand “Solis” and my wife and I are going to look at one in the 85 to 100 hp range! I feel the local John Deere dealer is not as supportive as he could be having bought at least $ 250000 worth of equipment in the last 5 years from him!

Top Forums