first year mulching

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jake the grass guy, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

gonna push mulching pretty hard this spring for the first time. this is my 3rd year in business and ive done a few jobs before nothing complicated. just reaching out to see if anyone has suggestions. i feel pretty confident about my pricing but just the logistics of the mulch. i dont have a dump trailer just a long bed truck and an enclosed trailer. at what point is buying a dump an option and is it easier to just get mulch delivered dumped? what am i doing with excess? ect. ive been doing just shovel and wheel barrow. suggestions tips? how do you do things?

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Put some stakesides on the longbox for now and you should be able to get 3 or 4 yards on the truck. Get yourself one of those 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows with the dual wheels they hold almost a half yard when heaped up. Jobs that are bigger than 7 yards get it delivered. Save up and get a used dump when you can, put some sides on that and you can now be hauling 10 to 14 yards. If all you have is a enclosed trailer you are going to need a dump trailer.

3. Jake the grass guy

Mac thanks a lot that’s really helpful I think I’m going to do exactly that!

Cedar Knoll Lawn Care likes this.
  4. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

First of all what size truck do you have before you go hauling 4 yds of mulch and your brakes give out? If the truck is sufficient then yes absolutely add sides to it til you can save up for a dump or high side open trailer. 6 yds and up get delivered just make sure you add that into the estimate. Pitch forks and big capacity wheel barrows work great for the majority of mulch jobs. Best of luck

5. Jake the grass guy

Chevy 2500hd 6.0 gas

6. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome good to go.

7. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

it's always easier to load mulch into wheelbarrows from a truck than on the street. treat it like your dropping the mulch out of the truck instead of picking it up off the street. material going down is always easier than material coming up.

If your working solo and the mulch yard is 10 minutes away I would opt to only work out of the truck as opposed to having it delivered. in my opinion 3 or 4 yards at a time out of a truck you will save the half hour trip just on working out of a truck vs picking it off the ground. you can nail the amount of mulch needed as youll be going every few yards at a time. end of the day you'll get more done and be less tired
    ((( if we have 5 guys on a job we're getting it delivered or hauling 20 yards in at a time because dead time kills us. keep in mind working solo is different than with a bunch of guys)))

always wheel mulch the shortest trip possible. you can always back down driveways to get as close to mulched areas. Move the truck to the street to get the beds by electric boxes or whatever is there.

I would load that enclosed with all your wheelbarrow's, hedge trimmers, scoops, brooms, ect. and use it as a mobile tool shed if you will. if it has a door on the side it will be a good place to take a leak into a jug. be a huge time saver

8. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

call me crazy but bagged mulch is the way to go, costs a bit more but if you buy the pallet you get a discount. much easier to move and cuts the labor costs dramatically, stores in the bag for the next job if u have extra. I lay out the bags in the bed cut and spread, I haven't brought a shovel to a mulch job in years. if your estimates are by job completion this is the way to go, if your estimating some other way I would go traditional shovel and wheel barrel. Granted I have a box truck so I can fit a few pallets in there.

9. Jake the grass guy

makes alot of since! thanks for your input grant!

hort101 likes this.
  10. Jake the grass guy

hey mac you reccomend any specific tarp systems to put on the stakesides or just strap is down and call ti a day? was looking to see if one of those roller tarps would work well. thoughts?