first year mulching

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jake the grass guy, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Yea there has benn a lot of great feedback but nobody mentioned a tarp. One of those plastic tarps is not going to work. You need a woven trucker tarp. You can usually find them at larger nursery's or landscape supply yards. They usually have a smaller one for pickups. It should hang over the sides almost a foot. Most guys use a bungee cord to eye hook setup but I have always used 2 foot sections of rope tied to the tarp.

Jake the grass guy likes this.
  2. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

I agree and do the same. Charge extra per bag, return or keep extra for next job.

walkinonwater27 likes this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I really like Grants point about shoveling it off the ground. My dump truck hauls 10 yards of mulch and in my prime I could install it in about 3.5 hours. I raise the box halfways and fork it into a mulch buggy. Your going to lose that function with a dump trailer since its lower to the ground. Some guys run a dumpbox insert for a pickup and you might want to look into them. Anyways for now work on figuring how much you can haul and how much it covers.

4. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Smart man, I’ll have to try to return the extra , sounds even better than storing it.

5. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Smarter not harder