Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm offering aeration this fall, and I will be renting an aerator from a local dealer in my area.

For example, if I have a yard that is about 2500 square feet, I do double passes, seed and fertilize, what would you charge? I'll be using LESCO starter fertilizer and seed. It is pricey, but I really like that stuff.

How do you LCO's break it down?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
The best advise that I can give you about aerating is this: Whatever price you decide to charge the customer- double or triple that price! You are gonna work your A#$ off with an aerator- especially a walk behind aerator!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the problem is scotts and lawn doctor do it for aboy 160 they make one pass and then done 1 hour later they are gone. if you do it the correct way doing it two times and the second time in a differnt patter it will take a lot longer guess how long it will take you probally 3 hours add the machine rental in add the fert in and use what you charge normally an hour, include travel time in as well so any wher from $300 to $450 just my .02

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i just bought over $10,000 in aerators and slicer seeders ther is good money in it but its your job to sell it to them explaine the benefits and ensure them you do it properly and you should be getting atleat $60 -$100 andd hour. we run 2 of each machine on a lawn at a time abd have a min charge of $150 to do the smallest lawn these machines are not cheap we need to work on our salesmanship and not worry about what other lw ballers get

·
Registered
258 Posts
I too will be using lesco products. According to my dealer (lesco) if the lawn is maintained with fert throughout the year it will be find to use .5 lbs of starter fert to 1 lb o seed. i usually use 1:1. With the cost of the fert I am going to give it a try on their recommendation. Also I do have a 300.00 minimum for A&O. I use this to convince the customer of doing both Aeration and seeding at the same time. I tell them to try to shave without a razor see how far it gets them, then try to shave with a razor and no shaving cram, same result. It works with the razor but not at all as well. It has worked for me to use this sales line for the past 3 years and I have already used it this year and have an abundence of work for the upcoming season. Don't under price yourself or you will be working for free before the season is over. "If it does not make money it dosen't make sense"!!!!!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
As an example, I have one guy that will double pass aerify then rake the cores with a front mounted JRCO spring tine rake while choping them up with the mower the rake is mounted in front of.
I bill a minimum of $250 for this up to 3K square feet and this one guy can do three sites in one day = acceptable $$.
On the tight spots that requires a 21" mower and front mounted rake as well, the price goes up at least another $75 at a minimum.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I saw an ad today on the Richmond, VA Craigs List that offered core aeration for $25.00 for any lawn up to 1 acre. There must be a catch. I charge a minimum of $65.00 for a small lawn. I'd sell my aerator before I would aerate for $25.00. That thing is too heavy to be taking off and putting back on the trailer for only $25.00....plus all the stress on your body from using it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw an ad today on the Richmond, VA Craigs List that offered core aeration for $25.00 for any lawn up to 1 acre. There must be a catch. I charge a minimum of $65.00 for a small lawn. I'd sell my aerator before I would aerate for $25.00. That thing is too heavy to be taking off and putting back on the trailer for only $25.00....plus all the stress on your body from using it.
That's insane. I'll have to look for that ad. I'll have to email him to get a little more info.

Do you have the ad link?

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
The best advise that I can give you about aerating is this: Whatever price you decide to charge the customer- double or triple that price! You are gonna work your A#$ off with an aerator- especially a walk behind aerator!
Aeration is profitable but t will were you out! Be ready for a workout and hold-off on signing up for the gym!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.