Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sayin'.........cut it high, let it fly!

Reactions: JLSLLC

·
Administrator
5,657 Posts
please remember, this forum is meant to discuss the business of growing cannabis, including farming, cultivating and crop maintenance and we want to try to keep it to that...also, it was started to see/gauge interest in this type of forum/topic moving forward

thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
M.J.D the industry is there and will grow (yes pun) in Manitoba there is course work through the college that I do my pesticide study for maintaining spray licence.
the conversation I think will be substantially different between two countries as a result of the differences in law.
as long as you weed ;) out the nonsense.

·
Administrator
5,657 Posts
MJD, is this meant to be about marijauana that makes people feel good or industrualized hemp production?
as I had mentioned in my earlier post, this forum is meant to discuss the business of growing cannabis, including farming, cultivating and crop maintenance and we want to try to keep it to that so we do not want it to be about the "feeling good" discussion, if I am understanding your question, lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There's really two main types of cannabis cultivation, medical/recreational marijuana (the kind that gets you stoned), and commercial hemp production that they extract cbd oil that you find in all kinds of supplements even at Walmart.
Out here the hemp industry (CBD) is a blight on the land in my opinion, but I'm sure I'll get some nasty feedback on that comment. Massive amounts of plastic being tilled in to the ground. Reservoirs are drying up because previous land that was pastured now has a million feet of drip tubing. New plant pest issues spreading from monocultured hemp farms to my residential landscape clients.
Labor force reductions because these folks all pay cash under the table, pulling laborers from the other industries. Supply shortages at the irrigation warehouse.
And the profits all getting sent back to corporate investors back east, no real benefit to our small local economy.
Bring back the old mom and pop weed farm with a few plants and I'd be fine.
Just hope commercial hemp/cbd production doesn't come to your neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say sugar, caffeine & alcohol qualify as gateway drugs first.

As far as rope goes, I like mine strong. :weightlifter: What good is weak, wimpy rope anyways?

Reactions: oqueoque

·
Registered
256 Posts
as a discussion on business opportunity there are several factors that separate the weed industry from Joe with a lawn mower start up.
primary among them the legal framework to operate in, to start a legit operation would require a substantial amount of capital and knowledge beyond asking for the really black dirt at the yard.
is there a market for this? well the people who had it locked up for years are now selling t-shirts claiming the wearer supports them to keep up revenue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is A LOT of money to be made in this industry. Unfortunately the stuff grown under the sun is the only sustainable crop of this product. Ive been in and out of this industry since the late 90s when I spent time in the netherlands working in greenhouses full of the stuff. I dont consider it to be a gateway drug any more than I do flintstone vitamins or gibamins as my kids called them. Im currently running a spring deprivation trial for a local company. I bought this land outside the city for just this reason and this little project is paying the mortgage on land I will one day build a house on. AZ sun is perfect for growing 4 crops a year if you use a little supplimental light in the winter and deprivation tents the rest of the year. Unfortunately the companies in the game have done a great job of locking out the competition by spending their money crafting the laws for states to pass. AZ for example will be a closed industry in a very short time with a very few players reaping huge profits and paying the employees a relatively weak wage.
MJ is here to stay and the time is right to jump in and one more thing.....They arent having a hard time finding employees like some others. (and these employees are educated).

·
Registered
74 Posts
It doesnt look that bad when compared to the other horticultural operations Ive seen, not referring to cannabis. The demand is there right now and the feds are keeping the price high with prohibition. Investments will be made. AZ is holding too far back. There are jobs to be created on a grand scale. We arent seeing them.

Ive got a background in horticulutre and think this isnt that outrageous outside some serious water use, fertilizer management and the need to really educate your kids these days. If its not grown there in Oregon, it will be coming from the central valley of Ca or some other ag infested area. I AM against the centralization of our markets. The corporate farms are killing small producers and being very "corprate" in their treatment of workers.
Any new jobs showing up in these counties? Someone needs to manage those greenhouses. I understand a lot of the jobs are entrants but theres work in them there hills.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ya know compared to what was going down in Humboldt, Medo and Trinity Counties the last decade this is a god send. There were 10,000 small illegal grows spilling diesel and nutes all through out the hills. Some of these operations deserve credit for stewardship while others deserve credit for mayhem and debochery and a reduced salmon population. This looks remotely regulated and less harmfull than whats transpired in the triangle. Trinity Pines for example.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.