Lawn Care Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying Fisher Barton's LaserEdge blades which never need sharpening on a 72" Hustler HyperDrive, and must say they are actually cutting better with 102 hrs than when they were first installed. These blades have not been touched since they were installed new. I was cutting very thick crabgrass yesterday at speeds most cannot comprehend, and the cut was excellent. I had a couple of areas with very thin Buckhorn Plantain and other stemy weeds, I was forced to slow my ground speed, but the blades left nothing standing.

These blades most definitely have a purpose for many, especially those cutting in sandy areas of the country.

LaserEdge® Self-Sharpening Blade - Fisher Barton

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I am in the process of trying Fisher Barton's LaserEdge blades which never need sharpening on a 72" Hustler HyperDrive, and must say they are actually cutting better with 102 hrs than when they were first installed. These blades have not been touched since they were installed new. I was cutting very thick crabgrass yesterday at speeds most cannot comprehend, and the cut was excellent. I had a couple of areas with very thin Buckhorn Plantain and other stemy weeds, I was forced to slow my ground speed, but the blades left nothing standing.

These blades most definitely have a purpose for many, especially those cutting in sandy areas of the country.

LaserEdge® Self-Sharpening Blade - Fisher Barton
Got any pics of the crabgrass areas you cut yesterday?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Do you notice anymore or less build up under the deck? How often do you scrape your deck? I am assuming when you do scrape your deck you leave the blades on?

·
Registered
610 Posts
First off, they don't cut as well as a sharpen blade. Put a fresh, properly sharped blade on one spindle and leave your laser blades on the other two spindles. You will see a difference.

They do cut better than a normal blade that has that many hours on them.

Second, in sandy soil, like mentioned above, the wing is still going wear out.

The laseredge blade has it place for people just wanting to wack down Crab grass.

Anyone wanting a proper cut on proper turf grass will use a properly sharpen blade.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off, they don't cut as well as a sharpen blade. Put a fresh, properly sharped blade on one spindle and leave your laser blades on the other two spindles. You will see a difference.

The laseredge blade has it place for people just wanting to wack down Crab grass.

Anyone wanting a proper cut on proper turf grass will use a properly sharpen blade.
All a person is capable of, is selecting what works best for the job at hand. Those that believe the sail wears in sandy conditions are most definitely correct, but as with a normal sand blade that is designed with zero sail, perfectly flat, these blades continue to cut. JLH52 will testify to these blades being far superior to any blade he has used in his beach sand conditions.

When in need of higher lift, these blades are not suited for your application. For others that are looking for a good cut with no blade maintenance but a higher up front cost, this would be a good blade to try.

I was sent 2 sets ($140 per set) of these blades free of charge to try, and I can say they are well worth what I paid for the blades. I will certainly order more of these blades from Gravely, once these blades fail to give a suitable cut.
First, I am going to find out how many hours these blades can actually last. When I find the blades are beginning to leave ANYTHING standing, they will no longer be of use and I will put on the second set I was given to demo. Let's just find out how long they can cut satisfactorily.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My friend had a set. He bragged about them also. Last time I was at his shop I noticed he was back to running regular blades.

The laser edge has there place. But I repeat myself, they will not cleanly cut turf grass such as Bermuda, St Augustine, centipede cleanly as a properly sharpen blade.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The laser edge has there place. But I repeat myself, they will not cleanly cut turf grass such as Bermuda, St Augustine, centipede cleanly as a properly sharpen blade.
I must be incorrect about what I "think" they are. Pictures look like they are a very thin material on that bottom cutting edge. If it is as fine a thickness as it appears, I have to wonder why they aren't just as good or better?

Not trying to argue, just thinking out loud I suppose. Does it have to do with lift or other dynamics of the blade design?

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My friend had a set. He bragged about them also. Last time I was at his shop I noticed he was back to running regular blades.

We will need to agree to disagree, I cut Bermuda this afternoon and cut it at 2.75" and it looked like carpet when I finished. I have a Duke's mixture of southern grasses and weeds, and some very rough cutting to deal with. Now at 104 hrs, I could not, or would not, expect new perfectly sharpened and balance blades of any name brand to give me better results in my cutting scenario.

There again, these blades would not be suited for postage stamp size lawns that have perfectly manicured grass, it would be foolish to spend $140 for a set of blades that are designed for an entirely different use. With the amount of grass I've cut the past 40 years, I consider an acre or less to be a small lawn.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

I have a Magna -Matic blade sharpener and can sharpen blades to a precise 30° angle. I've sharpened and balanced hundreds of blades.

A LaserEdge blade will cut absolutely as good as a properly sharpened standard OEM blade.

I’m not just wacking down Crab grass. I cut Bermuda, St. Augustine, Centipede, Carpet, Bahia, Rye, etc. These blades cut every type of grass I've ever encountered perfect.

Southeast Turf : Have you personally ever used LaserEdge blades or are you basing your assumptions on hearsay? I’m testifying to personal experience.

Experience always trumps hearsay. I'm not trying to start a shouting match or back and forth controversy.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a Magna -Matic blade sharpener and can sharpen blades to a precise 30° angle. I've sharpened and balanced hundreds of blades.

A LaserEdge blade will cut absolutely as good as a properly sharpened standard OEM blade.

I’m not just wacking down Crab grass. I cut Bermuda, St. Augustine, Centipede, Carpet, Bahia, Rye, etc. These blades cut every type of grass I've ever encountered perfect.

Southeast Turf : Have you personally ever used LaserEdge blades or are you basing your assumptions on hearsay? I’m testifying to personal experience.

Experience always trumps hearsay. I'm not trying to start a shouting match or back and forth controversy.
I don't have any thing to gain one way or the other. The fact that you are so hostile and defensive tells me you do have something to gain.

I have been in the industry since 1990. I have worked with a distributor, as a dealer and as a landscaper. I just relayed my experience with laseredge blades. I haven't owned a set, but I have seen the cut that they leave.
Because it didn't fit your narrative you now have accused me of making things up.

This my last post in this thread, because you are clearly biased.
I will continue to run and recommend conventional blades for those people who want a superior cut .

laseredge blades are awesome for people hacking down crab grass and Bahia. There nothing wrong with that, if that's what you do.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any thing to gain one way or the other. The fact that you are so hostile and defensive tells me you do have something to gain.

I have been in the industry since 1990. I have worked with a distributor, as a dealer and as a landscaper. I just relayed my experience with laseredge blades. I haven't owned a set, but I have seen the cut that they leave.
Because it didn't fit your narrative you now have accused me of making things up.

I will continue to run and recommend conventional blades for those people who want a superior cut .

laseredge blades are awesome for people hacking down crab grass and Bahia. There nothing wrong with that, if that's what you do.
SouthEastTurf stated:
" The fact that you are so hostile and defensive tells me you do have something to gain."

I can tell you without reservation, "JLH52" has nothing to gain from stating his point of view.

It is not necessary for YOU to become so defensive, you have a point of view, meaning "JLH52" has an equal right to his point of view. There is no reason to become hostile over anything this insignificant, everyone has the right to agree to disagree, there is no money changing hands because of either thought process. "JLH52" is only speaking from many years of experience to what blade works best in his cutting situation.

There is a great deal more grass cut that is not perfect, defined as completely free of all weeds and invasive grass species, than grass that has been invaded by weeds and invasive grasses. I think you and I will both agree, there is a much larger group of people that don't have need of perfectly sharpened and balanced blades due to their imperfect cutting situations, than the select few cutting highly manicured grass that is weed and invasive grass free.

I believe with you being in the business 32 years, you would find the need of agreeing with my above statement.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

If you'll reread my post, it's clear that I am not hostile toward you or accusatory. I only ask a simple question inquiring of your personal experience with the LaserEdge blades, which you've clearly answered, stating your lack of personal experience. other than viewing where someone else has cut using these blades.

I have nothing to gain either way. I only speak from my own personal experience with LaserEdge blades, not how the blades might have worked or not worked for someone else.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
First post in this thread for me - I'm not disagreeing w/ anyone!

Are you all saying that you don't even ever remove these blades from under the deck? Wouldn't they accumulate dried-on debris that could fall off in chunks making for an unbalanced blade situation?

How well do these blades cut at 4"? Cuz mowing at 2.75" will make nearly anything look pretty decent.

Reactions: SouthEastTurf

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I've used laser Edge on my 72" Gravely for 3 summers now. The 52" use conventional blades.
On the 72" I average around 45 acres cutting every week. I sharpen the blades about 2 times each season. Just to get them back in balance and to scrape and inspect them. We mow a total of 120 acres weekly. 90% of which is municipal, industrial and commercial. I put sharp blades on the 52" mowers weekly when we hit large residential lawns.
The Lazer Edge blades perform week in and week out as good as freshly sharpened oem blades.
The reason I have not switched the 52s to lazer edge is simple. I have around 20 sets of blades to burn up. Then everything will go to lazer edge.
Here is the analogy.
38 yrs ago. I started out in carpentry. Everyone used steel blades and hit them with a file daily. Suddenly carbide tipped blades came out, you could go weeks without sharpening as long as you kept out of hitting dirt and nails. No one could believe that back then. Same premise with eversharp blades.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.