Fisher Barton LaserEdge EverSharp 48.2 hr. update

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
This is an update with pics of my LaserEdge blades at 48.2 hrs. Some of the areas I cut have sandy soils and therefore the lift of the blades is severely worn, more so on center blade.

Blade on trim side of mower shows least wear, middle blade most wear, discharge blade not as much as middle but more than trim side blade.

You can stretch pics for up close view and look at bottom side of blades and see the amount of actual LaserEdge remaining on blades.

Even though the LaserEdge is jagged it is still very sharp. You can see in pics how the metal above LaserEdge is wearing and receding away from LaserEdge. Also the cutting tip has become rounded.

These blades have never been sharpened. If I were to sharpen blades now it would require removal of the remaining LaserEdge all the way to the other metal to get the cutting tip back to a 90 degree angle.

I have begun to notice that the cut is not as clean with the large amount of wear on the lift, the ability to lift grass has decreased.

With the previous Oregon blades I was using I had to sharpen or replace blades every 8-10 hrs.

I changed these blades today and installed another set of LaserEdge. To me the cost of these blades is worth not having to remove blades and sharpen every 8-10 hrs.

0C34B55D-477B-424C-8116-558F4E8D9246.jpeg
8D35B1FA-6776-4C24-A77E-25016AC9EA78.jpeg
FDF3F037-A671-468D-9ADA-12F2C846325C.jpeg
E551B6F2-F721-4975-8711-9A4511CAFD6D.jpeg

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Gold Member
Awesome! Thumbs Up

My dealer is going to order me a set. He want's to try them too. The website will not answer my e-mails.

Durability?

I'm sure you have hit a stick or hidden rock (quarter sized or so) Do they hold up for everyday **** you run into?

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Awesome! Thumbs Up

My dealer is going to order me a set. He want's to try them too. The website will not answer my e-mails.

Durability?

I'm sure you have hit a stick or hidden rock (quarter sized or so) Do they hold up for everyday **** you run into?
I've never hit anything. I only cut my own property, appropriately 10 acres of various soil types and every kind of grass and weed imaginable. I'm very familiar with every inch. I know where every above ground pine root is. I keep all limbs picked up, there are no rocks or stones.

All wear is from normal use in the above conditions.

What kind of mower and width deck are you putting LaserEdge blades on? What is your cost per blade.

I'm running a Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive / 72” deck.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Gold Member
I've never hit anything. I only cut my own property, appropriately 10 acres of various soil types and every kind of grass and weed imaginable. I'm very familiar with every inch. I know where every above ground pine root is. I keep all limbs picked up, there are no rocks or stones.

All wear is from normal use in the above conditions.

What kind of mower and width deck are you putting LaserEdge blades on? What is your cost per blade.

I'm running a Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive / 72” deck.
Gravely.

I buy 60in. Hustler blades from Rural King sometimes because they are the same size and it's closer than the dealer.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks for the honest review......That's about the kind of wear I see on my blades after 3 weeks of summer use (approx. 25 to 35 hours). (I'm in central FL, all sand, it's like a sand blaster under the deck unless it's rained recently) I sharpen my blades once a week in the summer and by the end of the third week of use the fin is starting to wear through at the end and that's when I swap in a new set. Unless these blades were very close to the price of the regular stens or rotary blades I use (11 bucks a piece) I don't think they would interest me after seeing how badly the fin is worn away on yours in 40ish hours.

On a side note,I It's interesting that you see the most wear on your center blade...On all the 60 inch mowers I've had (dixie choppers, exmark, and now ferris) the trim side blade is worn the least while the discharge side blade is the most worn with the center blade being somewhere in between those two on wear which always made sense to me as the chute side blade sees everything it cuts plus everything from the other two blades passing through on the way out the chute. I have to assume it's something about the design of the hustler deck that would cause the center blade to wear faster than the discharge side blade?

I always swap the two outer blades with each other when I sharpen each week so the fin wear is a little more even by the time I get to the last week of use on a set of blades.

Last edited:

Top Forums