1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fitness

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Matthews Lawn Care, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Never been to a chiropractor, massage, physical therapy or gym. I go to Dr. Only for accute problems. I broke my ankle playing hockey about 10 yrs ago, ER Dr. Showed me exray, the bone split length wise, he put on an inflatable splint and told me to see my regular Dr. On Mon, that the swelling would go down and they could cast it. My regular Dr. Died ten yrs earlier so I wore the slint for a week. Then high-top work boots laced tight for a month never had a problem. Just was careful for a couple months.

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What are you guys, decendants of Superman?

A possum? I hit one on my motorcycle with the wife @ 80 mph about 1 am a few years ago. That was the first time I caught some air on a cruiser, those possum's are crazy man.

Mow-Daddy.com and Mr Stripe like this.
  3. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was 22, somehow I weighed 287 at 6'3". I could barely walk without getting winded and everything was a struggle. My whole life I was a skinny kid and when I turned 21, it just started piling on and I wasn't even drinking much. Decided to turn it around and went on a massive diet and exercise regiment. Took 16 months but I got down to 185 and have maintained that since. Im now 35 and people tell me I look like Im 20. Even got carded at a bar recently lol.
    I walk/run every night with my wife on the treadmills while watching TV and then hit the gym up very hard twice a week. My body fat is at 6% and all my numbers are back to excellent. I can tell you that after being so unhealthy, I don't ever want to go back.
    Also, don't forget to drink your water. That is the one thing I still struggle with and I know when Im not getting enough. Everything starts hurting.

4. Mow-Daddy.com

Excellent ! Getting rid of 100lbs is like carrying a small person with you everywhere you go.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Eating right--proper portions, balancing carbs\protein\healthy fat, and reducing or eliminating processed foods--has made a huge difference for me as well. And working out.

I gained about 60 pounds since my son was born...21 years. Didn't really affect me much until the last year or two. I was still running 2-3x a week but last year I was getting in pretty rough shape. 20 some years ago I had a third of my lung removed (long story) and they said as long as I didn't become overweight, I'd be fine. Apparently I was at that point. Never short of breath, but I could tell when going up stairs, reading out loud, etc, I was having to take a really deep breath a couple times a minute. Couldn't even run 2 miles without walking part of it. I was trying to hide it and ignore it but my wife noticed. Never said much though. I was also taking antacids regularly (daily) and ibuprofen for stress headaches, body aches. Which didn't help the indigestion.

She talked me into trying Fit Body Boot Camp. I hated group exercises, love to run outside even in the winter. So we did a free class and they had a 12 week challenge starting up. I reluctantly agreed and we did the orientation and just about dropped out when I found out that there was a meal plan involved. I wasn't totally committed, but we had signed up, so I stuck with it. Lost 7 pounds the first week, and a bunch of inches. That got me going. Ran 3 miles without walking the first week as well, hadn't done that in over a year. Second week in, I ran 4 miles, first time in 6 or 7 years I had been able to do that. I had also stopped with the antacids and ibuprofen. I figured I could lose 15-20 pounds during the 12 weeks. After the first month, I bumped my goal up to 30-35. Ended up losing around 32 pounds and 10% body fat.

Still doing it 5 days a week, I miss it if I don't. Took a week and a half off for some leg muscle recovery, but haven't had any injuries other than that. Did another 6 week challenge where carbs are eliminated and then reduced, lost another 10-11 pounds and another 5% body fat.

My physical abilities have changed, my mental outlook is 100% better and I don't have near the desire to eat crap. I still do a little, but not like I was. I actually feel like crap on cheat days.

The workouts are a combination of metabolic conditioning, conditioning and strength. The workouts have never been the same, some of the exercises are. They do a great job of mixing it up. It's only a half hour, I would highly recommend it.

As an aside, I ran just short of 6 miles yesterday because I lost my keys about halfway through my run without realizing it. Never ran over 5 before then. I could have kept going.

6. TXPL

TXPL LawnSite Senior Member

The issue is that for most of us, our Heart Rate (HR) isn't high enough doing this kind of work. It IS elevated, but not high enough, or for long enough periods of time. Anyone who is riding around and not walking, not really getting a ton of exercise there either.

What part of this kind of work involves stretching? I sure as hell don't stretch while trimming or edging, I'm definitely in more of a cramped position if anything.

I've run competitively for awhile now, and admittedly have slowed down a bit recently.

You only get one body. You have to take care of kit.

7. Mow-Daddy.com

We all gota die of something !!

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

Closest I get to a gym is the planet fitness I service!