1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

fixed deck 48

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clay duncan, Mar 27, 2006.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking at a 48 in. fixed deck walkbehind. i have a 36 in fixed deck walkbehind and have never had any mowing problems (scalping). can i expect the same with the 48? or do i need t get a floating deck. for what its worth i very seldom change deck height.... thanks in advance.... clay

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have two of these, one is a '98 Toro 30197 the other is an '05 Toro 30197.

The only other machine I've ever used is a '95 Toro 30165 52" float-deck, but I like the 48" fixed deck much better.

Only thing you will likely run into is a slight learning curve with the larger deck. I doubt you will have any problems, I even dare say it would be easier to do what you're doing (upgrading deck size) than going from a float to a fixed deck (which is what I did). Either way, few days, couple of weeks at the most, and you'll be in love with that wide deck.