1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Deck vs. Floating Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

What is better--a fixed deck or a floating deck for a 48" walk behind and why would you choose one over the other?

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

DEPENDS ON THE TERRAIN YOU MOW....

for flat lands a fixed would be fine.. for hilly areas a floating will be better, less scalping...

A floating deck allows you to easily adjust cutting height from 2 - 5"s(i think)

for some reason I feel that fixed decks stripe really nice though.........

I used a floating deck

3. jtrice11

I'm only going to have 1 walk behind so I think a floating would be better. It can handle both flat and hilly then, correct?

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

yep. by hilly, I mean short rolling hills... both machines can cut on hills(just to be clear)

a floating deck will conform to the terrain..... If you can afford the extra for the floating I would go for it....

5. jtrice11

thanks, I need all the advice I can get. Gonna mow lawns this year for a living, I've been doing as much research as I can on equipment, bidding etc...
    I live in an expensive area and I think there is some money to be made around here.

6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Floating. more money. can change height.

7. jtrice11

I see you've been in business 1 year. how did it go?

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

IMO the main advantage to a floating deck is to dial in your deck RAKE and then have it remain constant at all cutting heights.