fixed or floating deck

drains

LawnSite Member
What advantage, if any, would a fixed deck have over a floating deck? It seems that the floating deck would be better but in one thread I see several that list a fixed as a preference. Thanks

germann

LawnSite Senior Member
Get the floating. Customer 1 wants 2.5 in due to dog. Customer 2 grows fast and likes the lush look of 3 in. A new cusomer's lawn is real high, so you start at 4in.

In short, residential people and jobs demand different heights. Nothing is easier or faster then a floating deck.
We can not even notice the weight difference. Our floating decks-exmark, scalp somewhat less.

John Gamba

LawnSite Fanatic
Look at the pic!!!!---------------------------------------------------------

955-500.jpg

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
I've always had fixed 36in decks. They work fine except the cut degrades as you bring the blades up into the deck to cut higher. My next machine will be floating because of this. To me cut quality is the number one issue. It does not matter how good I can trim a lawn, f the cut is mediocre so is the whole job.

John Gamba

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by dishboy
[ To me cut quality is the number one issue. It does not matter how good I can trim a lawn, f the cut is mediocre so is the whole job.

I could not have said it better :cry: :cry:

John

934-500.jpg

Expert Lawns

LawnSite Silver Member
John, you crack me up. it's like you're always running an ad campaign for exmark. gotta love it

John Gamba

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
John, you crack me up. it's like you're always running an ad campaign for exmark. gotta love it
Exmark would not pee on me if i was on fire. Its all about the mowers they make. They are not perfect but they sure are close.
John

Top Forums