1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing rough areas.....

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Grass887, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Grass887

Grass887 LawnSite Member

So I have a handful of lawns that need some areas fixed. I'm sick it flying off my seat, snapping bolts off scalp wheels. Over the years people have done stupid things on my Lawns, drive heavy equipment through them, have Leach Fields redone and then they settle 2 years later, and so on.
    Some areas are a 30' set of tire ruts a foot deep, others are a 100'x100' leach field that settled.
    The cost to fix it is a factor because obviously the customer doesn't give a ****, it's for me. And I can't just dump the accounts because some of them are $1k/mo accounts.
    What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to fix areas like this?
    I have a JD 3032e, and a 95hp ag tractor.
    I was thinking of renting a Harley rake, or pto tiller, but I don't have experience using either on sod.
    Having dump truck loads of topsoil dropped off wouldn't really be an option.
    Thanks for any help or input!

2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same issues on many of my yards, some very rough areas, holes and humps. As you said the customer doesn't care because they aren't the one mowing it. I've just been trying to live with it, but a couple of the rougher yards I think I may try to at least fill in the bad holes with topsoil. I am not doing it for free. I think the best approach will be to explain to the customer that their yard is very rough and the worst areas will need to be fixed (at their cost) or I will need to significantly increase the rate to mow it.

I have 2 yards that are rough over such large areas that nothing short of a dozer and triaxle load after triaxle load of topsoil could fix. On those 2 I am going to raise my prices enough next year that I can go much slower on them and still make what I need to make. And if they decline on the price increase then I will give them up and find some better yards to take their place.

3. weeze

weeze Banned

i try to wait until we've had a lot of rain and then run over the the edges of the ruts when the ground is soft to smooth them back out as good as i can. we have sandy soil here so it's pretty easy to do. still yards here aren't smooth. lots of places that are rough ground.

4. OP
    OP
    Grass887

Grass887 LawnSite Member

I guess the other option would be the $1800 suspension seat....

5. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Not really because you don't want to be hammering the rest of the machine and breaking stuff and wearing things out early.

6. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Level it with sand and a 3pt landscape rake. A ton of sand costs me $19. Have fun!

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

This

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  8. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe a roller would help ?