Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,844 Posts
Elite (what's your name again?), I think Mike hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of other fixutures that have given me problems in the past, but doesn't seem to affect others to the North and Midwestern states. I think humidity and salt air are a key factor for premature failures for both finish as well as interior parts like sockets.
I say if it's been serving you well then keep on doing what you're doing.

· Registered
796 Posts
"Alliance sent my enough product samples to illuminate my entire front yard. What did I do? Installed it! I'm going to give it some time and post the results."

Hmmmm,I am going to contact them and ask for samples myself. So Chris,what did you think of the Alliance products? Pretty nice,right?

· Registered
2,844 Posts
"Alliance sent my enough product samples to illuminate my entire front yard. What did I do? Installed it! I'm going to give it some time and post the results."

Hmmmm,I am going to contact them and ask for samples myself. So Chris,what did you think of the Alliance products? Pretty nice,right?
To soon to say. I gotta give it a while before I post any specifics. They are simply Unique knock offs, so if you like Unique, you can't help but like them. But looks are one thing, and quality and longevity are another. If they hold up, then Unique has a big problem to deal with. I'm not making any claims one way or the other yet.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Chris, is Alliance only a Unique knockoff, or did they improve or fall short on anything. I know the color and finish are different than Unique and the price is a bit lower. But what about customer service and support? They are also a limited line with only one finish and a typical lineup of fixtures and 3 no frills transformers with fuse technology. I would like to try them myself and see how they measure up to the "standard" brands.

Kirk

· Registered
2,844 Posts
Kirk, I just don't know. The only experience I have with them so far is the products that they sent me. I haven't even studied their catalog as I wan't to give the test ample time before I waste any effort on it. I'd find it hard to believe they improved anything as Unique seems to have done all the best research they can. I believe the owner of Alliance was once a Unique employee, and left the company with some great ideas. At a meeting I had with Chris from Alliance, he told me that Unique was at the top, there were the usual manus at the bottom and he felt his line was a happy medium (somewhere in the middle). I'd like to tell you more, but I just don't have enough data yet.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
AlLIEance.... what they did is no different then what CAST, Evening Lights, Lightcraft, BQL, and a host of many others did. Its just part of our busness to deal with guys who constantly want to steal from your hard work. That crap about there needing to be a middle of the road line is CRAP! They just cruise around, find a Unique or CAST customer. Tell them how great those companies are then say BUT how about a product that is just like them but CHEAPER! They dont care about innovation, support, education, etc...there is a reason they are cheaper and that is because they rely on us to do everything!

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Not from a quality stand point NO. CAST is far superior to those knockoff lines. But it is no secret that CAST was founded by the owner of Aquarious which was Unique's largest east coast distributor for many years. Then CAST's founders decided they could create a well light, a multi tap, a HUB aka Spider Splice, teach the same seminars, make the same VD charts, etc.....so I dont want to sugar coat the reality of how CAST came about atleast in our opinion. CAST is a spinoff of Unique as are those other companies.

But one thing we can appreciate and do appreciate is the fact that atleast CAST didnt directly copy product designs. Atleast CAST used their own brains to develop a style of fixture and product all their own. Your a person I respect Steve, so this is not a shot at you that I was trying to take.

This topic is a sensitive subject around here and rightfully so. When you go through all the hard work of teaching customers and distributors, filing for patents, putting togeather a winning sales staff, devloping innovative and usefull new products, and devloping marketing materials to help customers sell and distribute your product only to have people that are close to you steal and cheat you out of all that hard work it leaves a pretty bitter taste in your mouth.

· Registered
4,602 Posts
Joey, you sound awfully frustrated.

Aren't the Unique designs patented? Or is just too expensive to pursue patent violators? (If so then they're not worth much more than the paper they're written on.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry Guys, and I apologize to you too Steve I really didnt intend on dragging you or CAST into this like I did. Its been a busy and crazy week, throw in the Chargers getting ripped off on Sunday and I am a bit testy. LOL

Gregg, we have a bunch of patents, and we do enforce them and our lawyers are always hard at work sending letters and pursuing violators. On top of that we have also filed and obtained international patents to better protect us from off shore violators. What sucks though is a patent is only on the product you file for, so if a guy takes your light and changes the knuckle or shroud then he is not in violation. Just look at BQL. It is lame! I think Nate finally recieved his patent on the HUB as well so we will see what happens there. Its part of our buisness now, it almost makes you wish for the days when it was just the major manus running around drawing the line in the sand with Unique and we were the ony ones doing what we do. NOW everyone wants a piece of the Unique pie and we just have to continue to do what we do best and that is innovate and develop products that will always force the copy cats to play catch up.

· Registered
4,602 Posts
I never looked at BQL before, but it seems like some of their designs could just as easily have been "borrowed" from SPJ, Vista, Coppermoon or Kichler as Unique...same deal with Alliance... though in both cases it looks like Unique's styles make up most of their lines...

It must also be frustrating that they are not far from you... Temeculah, Calabasas... aren't you ever tempted to drop in and pay them a visit?

· Registered
3,199 Posts
I never looked at BQL before, but it seems like some of their designs could just as easily have been "borrowed" from SPJ, Vista, Coppermoon or Kichler as Unique...same deal with Alliance... though in both cases it looks like Unique's styles make up most of their lines...

It must also be frustrating that they are not far from you... Temeculah, Calabasas... aren't you ever tempted to drop in and pay them a visit?
yeah they "borrow" from a lot of other manus! However it is obvious what manu they borrow the most from in terms of finish and style.

As for dropping in and paying these guys a visit. It is something I am sure all buisnessmen faced with this type of situation think about. I think it is in our DNA to want to fight and defend what you feel is rightfully yours. But unfortunatley this isnt the old days when you could take matters into your own hands...........lol

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Joey, thanks for the kind words. The fallout between Aquarius and Unique is ancient history (before my time). Both our companies are now mutually respectful competitors and are fighting the other companies that damage the industry.

By the way, we're about to join the AOLP and look forward to working with you and other good mfgs. to advance our industry's concerns.

· Registered
3,199 Posts
Thats great Steve, welcome to the AOLP!! And like I said, I was a bit edgy earlier in the week and I do apologize for dragging you and CAST into this BS. The past is the past and is all water under the bridge. And like I said before, atleast CAST has the brains to develop and innovate their own products unlike some others.

Regards.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.