Flagstone around pool - critique please

Century Landscape

LawnSite Member
All right guys,

Finally got some pics the other day of a flagstone job I finished up a month or so ago. This is only my 4th flagstone job, and definitely the biggest so far. About 1100 sq feet, not huge I know, but largest job for me so far.

I'm sure that I'm asking for punishment, but I'd love some feedback and constructive criticism on my work. I respect the members of this forum a lot, and have learned a lot by searching through posts, but would like to perfect my work by learning from hardscapers with tons more experience than I have.

Although I didn't take time out to take pics during construction (Sorry!), I'll describe as simply as possible. I installed 2" Flagstone over a 1" stone dust bedding layer over a 4"+ base of compacted 3/4"- limestone over geotex fabric. Joints are filled with Sahara Beige colored Gator Dust, most of my joints are 1.5" or less.

I also surrounded a grill / firepit at customer's request with some of the scraps. This is my first, and hopefully my future ones will look better.

I'd appreciate all feedback, especially opinions on my joints, cuts, and finished appearance. I'd especially appreciate pointers on how to improve if necessary.

Thanks

P.S. Yes, I did notice that some areas still have some Gator Dust residue, with a little bit of traffic and some rain should be coming cleaner. If not, I've got some Gator Clean I'll hit it with in a month or two.

011.jpg

016.jpg

020.jpg

026.jpg

018.jpg

022.jpg

025.jpg

wurkn with amish

LawnSite Senior Member
I was honestly expecting total cr@p, but this looks very nice. The stone color is great, joints are even, mixture of flag is about perfect. nice job

Bru75

LawnSite Senior Member
Looks good! You've got pretty uniform stone sizes and joints, and I also like the color of that stone.
Just two things I'll mention: it would look better if the edge toward the grass was curved, and there appears to be a slight height difference between the stone and concrete in some places (maybe it's just the pic).
Posted via Mobile Device

tadpole

LawnSite Bronze Member
My opinion most likely won't mean much as I am not nor never will be a Hardscaper, but I like it.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I hope there is a fire house close by.

The fire feature is WAY too close to the dwelling.

All it takes is one ember to blow in the wind and the structure and dwelling are up in flames.

OP
Century Landscape

Century Landscape

LawnSite Member
I hope there is a fire house close by.

The fire feature is WAY too close to the dwelling.

All it takes is one ember to blow in the wind and the structure and dwelling are up in flames.

I definitely don't disagree with you. Point taken and noted. My customer laid out the spot, but I still probably should have made him move it. Don't know if ya'll can tell, that was actually a "cowboy" style grill that he got from Sam's Club for $99.00 and then wanted me to wrap it with flagstone.

Any thoughts on the actual flagstone work DVS?

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
If this were my forum, I'd have a stickie thread at the top of the forum. Of business principles.

in that stickie thread there would be a line saying "NEVER DO WANT THE CUSTOMER SPECS/WANTS/DICTATES". Customers arent adversed in liability and expertise. They don't hear the horror stories from other contractors and suppliers when they go pick up materials, etc. They don't get calls from home owners to come price re-doing poor work done by other contractors.

Flagstone looks ok. Their bare footsies ain't gonna like it when the sun beats down on it. Scorch!