Flagstone pricing vs. paver pricing

landscapesolutionsllc

LawnSite Member
Hello....im just curious how you guys price out a flagstone job vs. paver job for a patio...price per square foot. we just finished a flagstone patio ( around 350 square foot) it seemed like it took longer than pavers but we dont do much flagstone so maybe thats why. i know the price will vary for different areas but im just trying to see how big of a price difference there is between the two....thanks!

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
When I price a paver job, I put all my numbers into a spread sheet.

Square Footage
Excavation Footage (calculated by total square footage for over excavation)
Face Footage
Border Footage
Edging Footage
Stone Cost
Border Cost
Labor
Excavation
Disposal
Delivery Hours
Extra Labor
Extras (circle packs, etc...)
PROFIT

It spits out my price, materials are referenced off a master sheet, breaks it down, gives me a sq/ft price.

When I price a flagstone job, I put all my numbers into a spread sheet.

Square Footage
Excavation Footage (calculated by total square footage for over excavation)
Face Footage
Border Footage
Edging Footage
Stone Cost
Border Cost
Labor
Excavation
Disposal
Delivery Hours
Extra Labor
Extras (circle packs, etc...)

It spits out my price, materials are referenced off a master sheet, breaks it down, gives me a sq/ft price.

Notice something? They're the same! But the variables are the different. Material cost, etc... If the job is on the front lawn and next to a road to dump gravel, and he's got a spot onsite to dump waste fill. It might be like $12 a sq/ft

If it's in their backyard, in a century townhome, downtown in the city, and all the materials have to be carried through their house over hardwood floors, it might be $80 a sq/ft.

4 seasons lawn&land

LawnSite Gold Member
woohoo, 80 bucks a sq ft might grab some attention. Not saying thats to high. I dont have any experience with jobs like that or pavers for that matter, but...

As far as time diff. Pattern cut (square) flag goes quick. Deffinatelly faster than pavers. Irregular flag with halfway decent fits and gaps is probably close time wise to pavers.

OP
L

landscapesolutionsllc

LawnSite Member
the job was a pain in the a** to get to though. we have a ditch witch sk650 mini skid and it wouldnt fit through the gate with the bucket on the front so we used it for all the digging but we had to carry the dirt out with wheel barrows.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Crazy mike why are you not covering drive time and load time (mobilization fee)?

Mortared flagstone and pavers installs are two different worlds in terms of pricing. Mortared Flagstone is usually 100% more in cost than pavers, if done correctly (poured slab with gravel under it, reinforced with wire and rebar). Landscapers usually do not have gravel under their concrete slabs and they also will leave out the wire and rebar (as Crazy Mike's post is reflective of) :)

And with flagstone....you usually have to hand pick through the piles at the supplier and pick out the best pieces. This takes time and effort. With pavers you pull inthe yard and they throw the pallet on your truck and your day is underway.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
the job was a pain in the a** to get to though. we have a ditch witch sk650 mini skid and it wouldnt fit through the gate with the bucket on the front so we used it for all the digging but we had to carry the dirt out with wheel barrows.
That's why it's time an materials. If your price is $10 a square foot. And that job was in the front of the house, you might have made money. But if it's a PITA like you said, you lose money.

But by pricing time+materials you are less likely to lose. It's possible that you could underestimate your time, which will you lose. But that comes with experience. The more experienced you are, the more you will see that will help you estimate.

That works both ways too. You might see obstacles that will slow you down, you need to bid accordingly so you don't lose money. But you will also see short cuts, etc... allowing you to cut costs and win more bids. Whether knowing someone in the area to dump fill free, etc... little things add up in any business.

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
Crazy mike why are you not covering drive time and load time (mobilization fee)?

Mortared flagstone and pavers installs are two different worlds in terms of pricing. Mortared Flagstone is usually 100% more in cost than pavers, if done correctly (poured slab with gravel under it, reinforced with wire and rebar). Landscapers usually do not have gravel under their concrete slabs and they also will leave out the wire and rebar (as Crazy Mike's post is reflective of) :)

And with flagstone....you usually have to hand pick through the piles at the supplier and pick out the best pieces. This takes time and effort. With pavers you pull inthe yard and they throw the pallet on your truck and your day is underway.

Posted via Mobile Device
that's not my entire spread sheet. But drive time, etc... I factor into the labor time. Same for site clean, etc... my over head for the guys is the same if they are driving to the site, laying material, etc...

As for wet laying, he didn't really specify that he was doing. Or if he did, I missed it.

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
I didn't see anything about mortaring, etc... and still seem to be missing it.

I was under the assumption that it is a dry laid flagstone patio.

As for gravel under the concrete, not sure how my posts reflected any of that. In fact, pouring concrete, without rebar straight into native soil that hasn't been tested, never occurred to me. Have you done this before?