1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Flat bed trucks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kjslawn, Jun 14, 2008.

1. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

How out there has one? I am thinking of hauling my mower on a flat bed truck instead of pulling a 18 foot traler to save on gas and waer and tear on truck. Looking for 12' or 14' flatbed

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If you're looking for 12 or 14 foot flatbed, why do you need an 18' trailer?

3. kjslawn

I currently hae a 18 trailer with gas @ 4.50 a gallon I was wondering if putting mower in or on the truck would save on gas and wear and tear on truck. I would park the trailer.

4. jason9696

jason9696 LawnSite Member

The cost of buying a flatbed, setting it up and maintaining it would be way higher than any gas savings you might experience. Why do you think it would get better gas mileage than a truck with a reasonable sized trailer?

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

well first off all there are many more benefits to a flat bed dove tail than savings gas.
    No trailer lights always going out, No hooking un hooking.
    No issues parking or backing up etc.

Will you make/save more money with a flat bed, yes!

Doyou need 14ft?
    I doubt it.

I can fit 2 60" ztrs in 12'x6'

6. kjslawn

I would think that carrying a load directly over the tires of a truck would give you much better gas milage. Than hauling a 1500lb trailer also no up keep with the trailer. tires lights ,brakes ,treating wood,etc I mean there has to be a reason the big dogs have a cab over dove tail flat bed truck.

7. kjslawn

Yes I only said 14' because as a # I seen this gate that would be great for unloading ZTR or wb www.tailgateramps.com

8. iseegreen

iseegreen LawnSite Member

Get a trailer ! We all use em. Dont worry about gas and just get out there and work. It will take care of its self. Dont sit around and worry about a few dollars more for gas. Go get 1 more account and make up for it.

9. kjslawn

I have a trailer thats what I use.I was asking about flat bed trucks If I could save 500 a yr doing somthing different I am going to do it I am not worrying. But in Business if you dont change with the times you could die doing things the old way. Example K-Mart/ Winn- Dixie/ Ford. I always try to look at how I can save $ doing the same thing.

10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly right, cost is king. Another way to look at it for the work harder not smarter crew. If, using your example, it costs you $500 more to run a trailer, you can't just go out and pick up another $500 account to make up for it because fuel, maintenance, etc. is all post-tax money. You would have to earn in the ballpark of $675 pre-tax to stay even.