Flat Free Front Tires on ZTR

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FarmerCharlie, Apr 16, 2019.

1. FarmerCharlie

FarmerCharlie LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some advice on the pros and cons of switching to flat free front caster wheels on my 7-year-old Gizmow 61" ZTR, which I use for both lawns and rough work. The mower has been remarkably resistant to my abuse, it does a nice job mulching grass, and it is very stable when mowing slopes. I do have fairly frequent flats on the front casters when I do really rough work, such as mowing the briars and small saplings on the back side of my dam every year or two. I have been thinking about replacing the front caster wheels with flat-free tires such as Marathon 13x5.0-6, which are filled with solid polyurethane. The owner's manual specifically advises against foam filled tires, which it says may cause failures to the hydro drive system. I assume it is referring primarily to the rear wheels, and I don't think that voiding the warranty is a big deal on this old machine. :)

Any opinions on the tradeoffs in replacing the wheels?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

both of my mowers have flat free castor tires on them. they work for me.

3. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have switched all my walkers front casters over to solid beats fighting freaking flats all the time

Walker56 likes this.
  4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The only Con, is the up front cost. The Pros, they work. No down time to run off and get a flat fixed. No loss of production time. Less aggravation. Peace of mind.

If you take care of them, they will out last your Gizmo Thumbs Up

Walker56 likes this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I have them on my ZTR and my stander. I hate them. They ride a little rougher than pneumatic tires and it’s almost impossible not to tear the turf with them since they are a little more flat than pneumatic tires. I’m going to switch mine over to pneumatic shortly.

The pro is not having 2 tires to monitor pressure or have flats on. No other pro that I can think of.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I foamed the fronts on mine. It cost me about $80 for the pair. You’ll also loose the use of the wheels for 3 days which is why I did mine back in February. I cut one last week so I’m already time ahead with that move. I never found a generic solid tire with good bearings and Tweels are nearly $500 for the front pair.

A9236B43-FA8E-4148-9387-2FFEE070C2E9.jpeg

7. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

They have a ride that will make you jealous of Fred Flintstone ... I just got rid of mine and went to pneumatics.

8. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I don’t notice much difference having the fronts foamed. And that’s a sacrifice I’ll give to end the never ending headaches with them. I wouldn’t advise foaming the back tires.

9. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Front tweels are pricey but they are closer to the ride of a pneumatic with no worries of flats. And they come with very high quality sealed bearings.

Doc8406 likes this.
  10. Tommy Kite

Tommy Kite LawnSite Member

I personally wouldnt, on my scag the pneu tires are thick enough they wont be pierced.