Flat Free Front Tires on ZTR

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
My Turf Tiger has had flat free tires on the front casters for serveral years. But this was unintentional. The valve stems disappeared, and even though the owners manual says to maintain 25 psi in the front tires, there has been no problem with 0 psi in the tires. The tires are Carlisle Reliance 18x5.00 - 6/3.25.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
My Turf Tiger has had flat free tires on the front casters for serveral years. But this was unintentional. The valve stems disappeared, and even though the owners manual says to maintain 25 psi in the front tires, there has been no problem with 0 psi in the tires. The tires are Carlisle Reliance 18x5.00 - 6/3.25.

lol, not sure if your being facetious but that's probably because you have airless tires.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
LOL!!! I have the airless tires too!!!

I have a Ferris 36" hydro that has flat front tires. I got tired of trying to get air back in them all the time and finally said "Screw it, let them roll flat."
There's hardly any weight on the front and it doesn't seem to affect anything since my deck height is infinitely adjustable - cranks up/down to any height you want - no spacers or pins.

I kept wondering if I should get flat free tires for it, but if they're really as expensive as it sounds, and have the issues I'm reading about, I'll just keep running it "airless". The wheels roll just fine on "flat" tires.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
lol, not sure if your being facetious but that's probably because you have airless tires.
For real. The tires with 0 PSI are just as round as when I bought the TT and they had tubes and the recommended 25 PSI. You can see the hole where there used to be the valve stem. Because there was no change in the ride, cut, or tire appearance, I have no idea how long they had gone "flat" before I noticed the lack of valve stem.
upload_2019-4-18_8-51-39.png

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
For real. The tires with 0 PSI are just as round as when I bought the TT and they had tubes and the recommended 25 PSI. You can see the hole where there used to be the valve stem. Because there was no change in the ride, cut, or tire appearance, I have no idea how long they had gone "flat" before I noticed the lack of valve stem.
View attachment 378779
They just used a regular rim for the flat free tire.... If you can push your foot on that tire and it doesn't squish into the rim fairly easily then it's a flat free tire not a pneumatic tire. My guess would be they switched over to the flat free tires and still had a bunch of rims for the air fillled tires so rather than throwing out those rims they just used them for the flat free tires.

This link is for that tire.

https://simpletire.com/carlisle-11-...MbdeXD1U4ul2D1-UW6xBJW5mF9NzIQgcaArLKEALw_wcB

Last edited: