• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

Flat rate to spread topsoil?

Pristine Lawn 1

LawnSite Member
I have a customer that wants about 7 yards of topsoil spread on the side of his yard. I haven’t spread much topsoil and can’t even remember what I charged the last time I did. Do guys usually just do a flat rate for spreading? Topsoil around here is $40/yard right now. If I want delivered it’s another $40 flat fee up to 9 yards (capacity of the nursery’s truck). Or I could haul a couple yards at a time and just mark it up. I think 7 yards is a bit high actually. I think 5 is sufficient. I need to seed it after spreading.

OP
P

Pristine Lawn 1

LawnSite Member
Are you dumping it where it’s being spread or dump, move, spread. Those are two very different things.
Oh yeah sorry. I was planning on dumping where I was going to need it and would be able to spread pretty easily. But that would involve backing in on the neighbors driveway and apparently they don’t want me doing that. So I’ll have to dump on my customers driveway and then wheelbarrow it to the area. Not terribly far but will be tiresome and time consuming.

Toro44

LawnSite Member
I’d probably do it like that for 100 yard + cost. Can you push it out of the truck into the barrow? I do these kind of jobs with a compact tractor for a reason.

OP
P

Pristine Lawn 1

LawnSite Member
I’d probably do it like that for 100 yard + cost. Can you push it out of the truck into the barrow? I do these kind of jobs with a compact tractor for a reason.
I have an aluminum dump insert so I can either dump it on the driveway or just shovel out of the bed and tilt it as it gets lower. If I have to wheelbarrow it so be it. It will toughen me up after getting soft all winter long I have to measure it next week myself to see how many yards I actually need.

Reed Landscaping

LawnSite Member
Are we talking screened top soil which around $400 for a tri axle or screened fill which is half the cost in my area? 7 yards having to wheelbarrow have fun. Do you have access to a machine that can cut the time in half?