• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Flat surface pressure washer

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Does the ABS cover on the general hammerhead cover a metal dome over the wand? Or is the ABS cover the actual dome? I assume the 18" creates a 16 inch path? I would think a wider path would require more PSI and/or more GPH. I think I'd rather have a faster unit with a slightly smaller path (18" cleaner) than perhaps questionable speed on a 20" cleaner. What are your thoughts? I found the 18" Hammerhead for $330 and free shipping. It is in my price range.
It's ABS, and it floats, castors sometimes get caught on cracks and what not, figure 4 inches for every 1 gpm for width, it's not exact but real good. GPM is the guiding point not psi. GPM's give you more cleaning power

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Just wanted to check back in. I decided on the 20" Whirl-A-Way with casters Part #: 85.403.011. I sure hope I made the correct choice but I wanted something where parts would be available for a long time.
That's great, there is a learning curve, believe me I know. It will go faster as you figure it out.

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
It's ABS, and it floats, castors sometimes get caught on cracks and what not, figure 4 inches for every 1 gpm for width, it's not exact but real good. GPM is the guiding point not psi. GPM's give you more cleaning power
The swirl away manual says the 85.403.011 is the 85.403.007 just with added wheels. So if a problem I should be able to just remove the wheels. I thought this might be better than getting one without wheels and deciding later I wanted them and not be able to add. I'm not getting younger and read that with wheels it is easier but can have issues as you stated above.

Thanks for all of your comments. I appreciate them.

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
I used it today and I believe I made the right choice. Worked extremely well. Took longer than I anticipated but I have LOTS of concrete.

mstrat

LawnSite Member
What cleaners do you recommend? I do walks at an ice cream shop and am always on the lookout to make that cleaner!

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
Did you use any chemicals or just spray water? Chemicals make it work faster.
No chemicals on the concrete. I didn't want to use bleach (hard to find now) because I thought I'd probably have "spots" where bleach stood longer than elsewhere. We swept it all to keep all of the debris out of the yard. There were lots of tree seeds, leaves, etc on the concrete. Using the surface cleaner was a lot easier than using a wand which I have done once - what a job and it certainly didn't turn out as well as the surface cleaner job. Regarding the time it took, I had to go slower than I thought it would be. Not devastatingly slow but... Took awhile to get the speed down as to not leave streaks. Oh, I also did it in sections and then rinsed the section off along with the area where the runoff went to. Didn't want that dirty stuff sitting and drying in the sun on the unwashed concrete.

An 18" SC may have been faster walking but I couldn't find one with wheels from a company that should be in business long term. I think there was a couple chinese companies but how to get parts would be a problem. I do remember that they did not have grease zerks and I wanted what I bought to be grease-able.

I use bleach and Simple Cherry on the house. Works extremely well but bleach is a little difficult to find right now. For the house, this year I resorted to Pool bleach found at Walmart. Probably pretty old as it seemed weak. I generally use the Chlorox brand and use 4 gallons of bleach with 2 scoops of Simple Cherry downstreamed using my pressure washer with a large 0 deg tip to reduce pressure. Can still reach top of 2nd story. House is vinyl sided.

Last edited:

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
No chemicals on the concrete. I didn't want to use bleach (hard to find now) because I thought I'd probably have "spots" where bleach stood longer than elsewhere. We swept it all to keep all of the debris out of the yard. There were lots of tree seeds, leaves, etc on the concrete. Using the surface cleaner was a lot easier than using a wand which I have done once - what a job and it certainly didn't turn out as well as the surface cleaner job. Regarding the time it took, I had to go slower than I thought it would be. Not devastatingly slow but... Took awhile to get the speed down as to not leave streaks. Oh, I also did it in sections and then rinsed the section off along with the area where the runoff went to. Didn't want that dirty stuff sitting and drying in the sun on the unwashed concrete.

An 18" SC may have been faster walking but I couldn't find one with wheels from a company that should be in business long term. I think there was a couple chinese companies but how to get parts would be a problem. I do remember that they did not have grease zerks and I wanted what I bought to be grease-able.

I use bleach and Simple Cherry on the house. Works extremely well but bleach is a little difficult to find right now. For the house, this year I resorted to Pool bleach found at Walmart. Probably pretty old as it seemed weak. I generally use the Chlorox brand and use 4 gallons of bleach with 2 scoops of Simple Cherry downstreamed using my pressure washer with a large 0 deg tip to reduce pressure. Can still reach top of 2nd story. House is vinyl sided.
Lowes sells pool bleach that is 10.5% SH by the gallon. I would have just used the house mix to give it a little something to kill the organic crud.