Flat surface pressure washer

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
Lowes sells pool bleach that is 10.5% SH by the gallon. I would have just used the house mix to give it a little something to kill the organic crud.
So, apply it to the section, then use the SC? Then apply to next section, etc? Or apply to entire concrete pad and then start using the SC? Rinsing that 1st section would also remove the chemical from the areas/sections in the runoff path. This is what got me confused so I skipped it.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Do entire driveway let it sit a few minutes (15 or more) then clean as usual. You can use your downstreamer to apply it, your house wash mix would work fine. To minimize streaks post apply and leave it.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
So, apply it to the section, then use the SC? Then apply to next section, etc? Or apply to entire concrete pad and then start using the SC? Rinsing that 1st section would also remove the chemical from the areas/sections in the runoff path. This is what got me confused so I skipped it.
What Hal said

hdtvluvr

LawnSite Senior Member
My brother in law borrowed the pressure washer and the SC. He did all of his concrete and was amazed at the results. I also purchased a turbo nozzle and while I haven't used it yet, he did on his curb. He used the SC on the flat part of the curb gutter. I drove by and since he stopped at his property line, his gutter is white and both neighbors' gutter is almost completely black. He said the turbo nozzle was wonderful too.

I guess he will be borrowing it all annually now. :)

Chip1wa

LawnSite Member
The rule of thumb on picking a surface cleaner for pressure washing a driveway is 4" per gpm. I have a 4gpm direct drive pressure washer-so I bought a 16" surface cleaner with 25025 or sometimes 20030 nozzles.
Somebody mentioned his 20" surface cleaner was slow-it leaves stripes. It's entirely too big for the size pressure washer output.
I can go slow walking speed with my 16" Surface Cleaner.
As an add-on service for your customers, go ahead and get a commercial grade 4gpm pressure washing rig with an appropriately sized surface cleaner. You'll be amazed how fast it can be when everything is sized to work together. Pre Treat AND Post Treat. Get your bleach from a swimming pool supply store, not Home Depot.

Chip1wa

LawnSite Member
I had a small 6hp Honda Powered residential 3gpm pressure washer and one of those $50 15" disposable surface cleaners for years. It was painfully slow and the end result was half a notch better than using a wand on my driveway. Streaks all over and the jets were so incredibly focused it beat the sand out of the driveway scoring it.
I was doing the driveway at my Moms house a few months back and it finally quit. The bar wouldn't spin.
I sold the pressure washer and bought a Honda 13hp GX390, 4gpm at 4200psi along with a 16" Whisper Wash Surface Cleaner initially fitted with 25020 nozzles (25 degree, 2 gpm) which is completely rebuildable. I've since started using the 25025 nozzles which helps me work even faster. The Whisper Wash surface cleaner is supposed to be the Cadillac in the commercial pressure washing world. After using it on family and pay jobs I believe the claim. Unless it's huge, don't get one with wheels-wheels get in the way. It doesn't need wheels-it's a "Floater" those in the business call the non-wheeled surface cleaners.
I can do about 20 sqft a minute at $0.15/sqft on paying jobs with it.
Always spray down the driveway just lightly wetting it with a 2-3% bleach/water mix, then surface clean it, then post treat it again with the same mix. It'll look new once it dries.
I'm in Industrial Sales and don't cut grass for a living, but am making $100-$150/hr cleaning a few driveways in the neighborhood each week.
A pretty nice side hustle I kinda stumbled into.

Last edited:

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
I had a small 6hp Honda Powered residential 3gpm pressure washer and one of those $50 15" disposable surface cleaners for years. It was painfully slow and the end result was half a notch better than using a wand on my driveway. Streaks all over and the jets were so incredibly focused it beat the sand out of the driveway scoring it.
I was doing the driveway at my Moms house a few months back and it finally quit. The bar wouldn't spin.
I sold the pressure washer and bought a Honda 13hp GX390, 4gpm at 4200psi along with a 16" Whisper Wash Surface Cleaner initially fitted with 25020 nozzles (25 degree, 2 gpm) which is completely rebuildable. I've since started using the 25025 nozzles which helps me work even faster. The Whisper Wash surface cleaner is supposed to be the Cadillac in the commercial pressure washing world. After using it on family and pay jobs I believe the claim. Unless it's huge, don't get one with wheels-wheels get in the way. It doesn't need wheels-it's a "Floater" those in the business call the non-wheeled surface cleaners.
I can do about 20 sqft a minute at $0.15/sqft on paying jobs with it.
Always spray down the driveway just lightly wetting it with a 2-3% bleach/water mix, then surface clean it, then post treat it again with the same mix. It'll look new once it dries.
I'm in Industrial Sales and don't cut grass for a living, but am making $100-$150/hr cleaning a few driveways in the neighborhood each week.
A pretty nice side hustle I kinda stumbled into.
I helped my brother do a few jobs with a borrowed machine last year with the idea we would go in and split some equipment. I've been part time mowing and do some landscape jobs solo. He went all in on pressure washing just using a small portable machine and necessary stuff to run a job off his truck. It kind of clicked when our sister asked him why he decided to do pressure washing. He said it's less physical than landscaping and good money. He's definitely making better money for his hours of labor than I am at this point.

Chip1wa

LawnSite Member
I believe it. Coming from doing 40 lawns a week back High School and College days with a 21" Lawnboy I know what it means to sweat here in South Louisiana.
There's some really good Pressure Washing groups over on Facebook where I learned quite a bit. Lurk, read and learn.