1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flatbed: Steel or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dirtybiz, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

I am going to put a flatbed on my 06 Dodge 3500, and am trying to decide between steel and aluminum? Anyone have any input and/or pro's/cons of each? I am looking at Hillsboro's at a local trailer dealership, but am certainly not married to anyone brand yet.

Hillsboro has a nice new steel model that is heavier duty than their previous models. I do like the look of aluminum better, and certainly like the idea of it still looking the same in 10 years, as a steel one will get scratched up and need to be repainted in a few years. It looks like it would cost about $1k more than the cheapest hillsboro steel fb to do aluminum, or only about $200 more than the heavy duty steel one they make.

Their is also a local fab shop that makes their own steel flatbeds to your spec's (look pretty heavy duty) for around $3k. Decisions, decisions. Input?

2. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

I just got one and I went with steel, I asked a friend, he thought what I was doing it would be more durable and the truck would ride better with a heavier bed. I'm happy with the steel.

3. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

check out the tg mountaineer beds, they seem to make a pretty tough bed and be reasonable on price

4. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

Thanks, those are really nice, going to get a quote from them. I imagine it would cost a fortune to ship it out here (MT) though!

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Steel is more durable, and heavy; which will reduce CGVWR. Aluiminum will be lighter, very pricey, prone to more dents & scratch's, but will increase your CGVWR, slight increase in MPG, looks good.

These trucks ride like tanks anyways, I keep mine loaded down, but as always someone would complain about the ride:laugh:, bunch of women

in the end it's your money, if extracting every ounce of towing capacity is not critical, go steel. One note have the Steel flatbed Rhino-lined it will last forever:waving: