Flea and Tick control?

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
Had a customer ask if I can do an application to control flea's and ticks. I told him that I'd get back to him.

Is there a product that I can use? This is nothing I learned about while studying for my applicators license.

Everyone seems to be worried that this will be the Summer that insects will ATTACK !!!

Any suggestions?

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic

TLS

I suggest you pass and recommend your customer call a real Pest Control company that is not only has a Structural Pesticide License and the Knowledge to treat Fleas & Ticks. Fleas & Ticks are not Pest of Turf or Ornamentals and fall under structural pests.

The problem in controlling these pest is the Eggs which hatch in 28 days but can also go dormant for up to 18 months before hatching. The Present of Vibration and Carbon Di-oxide will cause the Eggs to hatch.

Treating Fleas & Tick requires treating the Pets, House and outside all at the same time. This is not always easy to accomplish. Re-infestation is a given if you don't do it right.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
Ric isnt far off, we will spray for ticks as that falls under our turf and ornamental license here. but....we wont do fleas anymore as they need to be treated inside and outside as Ric said and we are not licensed to go inside the house and treat them there....

There are plenty of products out there that will work on ticks.....

Think Green

LawnSite Silver Member
I agree with ric and hokey.
The flea and the tick are tricky little pests and can breed into oblivion.
You need a ovacide to control the flea. This stuff isn't cheap to say the least and isn't something you go spraying around the lawn with a insecticide. The cost outweighs the cure.
Bifenethrin is the general spray for all cure. It doesn't do anything but kill the adults and some young fleas. The eggs are not effected by the treatment. Just as ric said--" vibrations will cause the eggs to hatch.......from pets, cars, the wind, rain,etc.

Cadzilla

LawnSite Senior Member
You only need an ovacide if you want to control the eggs. There is nothing wrong with controlling emerged insects specifically and I disagree with the statement that you can't kill an adult flea with bifenthrin.

JJS

LawnSite Senior Member
we mainly advertise tick control here. altough some customers ask us to treat the whole lawn for fleas as well. we simply explain that spraying the lawn will have some positive effect on their flea problem, its not 100% percent effective because there IS a lot more to controingl fleas then ticks

WKing

LawnSite Member
Don't forget that with fleas, picking up any dog bombs on the yard regularly will greatly disrupt the life cycle and keep you from spreading them to other yards. You can even charge for that service prior to mowing for a client. Ovacide works on eggs but if eggs are constantly being put down by the family pet its a never ending battle that sees slow results.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
You only need an ovacide if you want to control the eggs. There is nothing wrong with controlling emerged insects specifically and I disagree with the statement that you can't kill an adult flea with bifenthrin.
I dont see anywhere that the statement was made about not being able to kill an adult with bifenthrin...

OP
TLS

TLS

LawnSite Fanatic
Thank you all.

I've seen this service offered by both national chains and local LCO's like myself.

Just never had a customer inquiry about it. The mild winter and early Spring coupled with the media coverage I'm sure pushed them to ask.

Since I have a Permagreen, I don't think liquid Bifenthrin will be all that effective sprayed at low volume? Or will it?

So that leaves me with granular. Didn't call my supplier, but he carries BIFENTHRIN PRO .2% granular in 25lb bags. Just wondering what that would commonly cover & cost. This would also be used on my own property, as I've heard that perimeter treatments alone help control spiders, bugs inside eventually.

Thank you all.