• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Flea control for the yard

A23

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for the best/easiest way to control fleas in my yard. My dog is incredibly allergic to flea bites, and the fleas are getting real bad in south florida right now. I'm asking this from a homeowner standpoint, so I need something that is easy to apply but safe for the dog of course.

I appreciate any advice you guys have.

gregory

LawnSite Bronze Member
like others already said bifen. works great.. if you do a search on here under ric's name you'll find alot of great info on fleas and fire ants. i use it and have dogs and havent had a problem with them of course read the label and it will tell you what you need to know about safety and when the animals can go back outside after its beend treated...

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
A23

Bifenthrin is what we call 4th generation chemistry or Permethrin that is made better. They are both the same family of Chemicals. Bifenthrin loses some of the quick kill power (takes a few minutes) as a trade off for gaining a longer resisdual. Adams Shampoo that Dogs bathe in has Permethrin in it so Bifenthrin is no harm to you or your dog.

I suggest you use Front line Fleas control and rotate it with Advantage Plus every 6 months. Both products are sold in 6 month supplies and can be found at Petco.

If you have Fleas in your house now I strongly suggest you hire a Professional to treat inside and out. Once under control you can maintain control of your yard with regular 30 day treatment with a hose end sprayer. Once again you can purchase a plastic Ready to Use (RUP) bottle of Bifenthrin from Wally World/Home Cheapo. Be sure to spray at least 20 high objects in your yard that Fleas will climb so they can jump on you.

RBatten

LawnSite Member
For the best control add IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) to the Bifenthrin. This will break the flea's life cycle and you will get a good 90 day control here in FL. Unfortunately the IGR is the expensive part of this application.

bx24

LawnSite Senior Member
I still say Bifen since I owen 2 show dogs and one other family dog. It works if you are smart.

Think Green

LawnSite Silver Member
The addition of a synergist will aid in the effectiveness of the insecticide.
The use of bifenethrin alone will kill adults but vibrations,heat, and moisture content will hatch the new broods. You will need to flood the lawn out with plenty of water and solution to get the product into the soil to be real effective. Treating tree trunks, foundations and shrubbery areas are beneficial. Monthly treatments is better this way.
As Ric stated, treating the pet and professionally the indoors is way better.

Nylar--a PGR is light stable and ******s the growth rate of fleas and it stable for 30 days outdoors and moisture dependencies.
Methoprene and hydroprene and not photostable and is suggested for indoor use only. So don't get confused with these products.

Either of these 3 products are costly and will need a license in most states under structural pest control and nuisance pest control.

I talk to people that has pets and often will conclude that these owners don't usually take real adequate care of their lawns in consistent mowing and brush control practices. They only breed fleas from misused products.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Rbatten & Think Green

IMHO you are giving a homeowner way too much information and only confusing them. By the time they buy the products you are suggesting they could hire 3 professionals to do the job.

RBatten

LawnSite Member
I agree that it is alot for a home owner to take in. But to obtain "Control" Bifenthrin alone wont do it. The fleas will hatch out and the problem will return in 30 days or less.