Flexible PVC

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by ArTurf, Jul 7, 2019.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Anyone ever use this or similar product? What did you experience?

2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Like funny pipe? There’s nothing funny about it.

Mudly likes this.
  3. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

It's a heated argument lol

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

This? EB12CA17-2E68-4607-8482-14B8F760BD4F.jpeg i see it in pools and spas. Never in irrigation. Doesn’t hold up under high constant pressure. It can balloon out.

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

That's the only flexible PVC I've ever seen. Funny pipe is not PVC to the best of my knowledge.

That sort of flexible PVC is popular in pools and spas. From what I've seen, it likes to leak under constant pressure. Something about how it just doesn't glue quite right.

For my own purposes, I just installed a small piece on the suction side of my shallow well pump. I'm hoping to use it as vibration isolation on a PVC and galvanized hard piped setup (on the suction side, with PE on the discharge side), but I can't say I've used it for long enough to know how it will hold up in this use.

6. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

There is PVC tubing that is extruded like polyethylene pipe. You solvent weld it into standard PVC fittings.

7. OP
    OP
    ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I meant to add this link
    https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/...nnT2VXZxsPCy1TSka9lP7J2y-gmcHGERoCiREQAvD_BwE

Probably the same thing more less. If I were to use it, it would only be used on laterals. Maybe on those odd repair jobs. Maybe even as swing pipe vs. the usual 1/2" funny pipe on larger nozzled heads since it would be less restrictive.

8. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

You should read the reviews on that product. Even the specs say not for use on high pressure or constant pressure.

I’ve known the white flexible pvc for awhile now as I work on pools too. I’ve heard it called spaflex. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to use that stuff on an irrigation system. I think the highest pressure I’ve ever seen on that stuff is 30psi, and that was with a 3hp pump on a commercial pool. Also, you have to be very diligent with your cleaner, primer, and glue and have lots of patience, you’ll be holding each joint tight for awhile until it sets.

If you’re looking at large nozzles, you’re going to be into swing joints anyway, or in an extreme case, poly and fittings.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

It’s also the same as carflex conduit

10. ChasM

ChasM LawnSite Member

I have about a 30' length of 2" installed on my koi pond. It has been there about 10 years and so far has been leak free. Its connects my 6500GPH pump to the filter/waterfall. Its buried about 12" underground and the pump is run year round in Western New York. There is less restriction in my use than what a lawn irrigation system would have.