1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCOTLAND YARD, Dec 10, 2003.

1. SCOTLAND YARD

SCOTLAND YARD LawnSite Member

How important is a full floating deck vs. a standard deck.
    Im on the fence to by Wright Stander or Sentar. The only real difference seems to be the floating deck. Is it worth $1000 difference?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I will use is a floating deck, to me it is worth every penny! There are a couple of questions to ask yourself though... What is the grass like that you are cutting? Is there a lot of bumps? Are you cutting a lot of hills?...etc..

3. SCOTLAND YARD

SCOTLAND YARD LawnSite Member

Any personal experience with the Wright Brand?
    I have heard some good results but, is it any better than Great Dane?

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I've never owned a fixed deck mower and not sure if I would want one. Seems it would do a lot of scalping on uneven turf. Also a pain to change cutting height from what I've heard. I looked at a Lesco w/b and when he showed how to change the cutting height, I said no thanks.

5. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

$1000 is, to me, a lot for a floating deck. But if you are mowing hills a lot it could be worth it.

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

There is a big difference between the sentar and the stander.

The sentar has a floating deck, seat, two speed sensitivity settings, 10.7 gallon fuel capacity, 11 mph forward, 5mph reverse.

The stander has nothing compared to that.

I am glad I have a floating deck on my metro, I take the deck off in under a minute to scrape or change blades without having to lay down. I can change the cutting height quiker than a fixed deck and when you do adjust the heght the deck pitch stays correct.

The floating deck will also help with the bigger deck to keep from scalping.

I think the floating deck is as valuable as a hydro unit

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Worth every penny of $1000, won't scalp, and height adjustment is a lot easier. Changing out the spindle shaft spacers to change heights is a royal pain, screw that.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What size deck?
    Anything above a 36" ought to be a floating deck.