1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

floating decks good or bad???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasshopperslc, May 9, 2005.

1. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

I had a 52" Scag walk-behind with a floating or some people call them hanging decks.And I found that when I would hit a bump the deck would jump? :dizzy: And in some case's the belt that went from the deck to the engine broke off and I was driving slow.This happened with the deck at 31/2" and 4".So I want to know if any one else had this problem?? :confused: Oh and the grass was around 2 1/2' tall so that might be a problem.

2. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

is that two and half feet?
    I would think you answered your own question. Does it break when you cut normal height grass?

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

2 and a half feet,this will make your belts smoking hot

4. grasshopperslc

Thanks for the feedback :D ,and no the belts never broke off the mower when the grass was normal,but the belts we're torn & cut pretty bad so I'm not sure what to think?? :confused: I replaced the belts ever other month practically ;)

5. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

floating decks are good :drinkup:

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

This has nothing to do with a fixed or floating deck . They both use belts and pullies ..... the problem is grass 2feet tall.

7. grasshopperslc

Thanks guys I think your right. :rolleyes: Two foot grass is insane. ;) But that was a while ago and I sold that mower,but I do know that floating decks are fine :D

Thanks again guys!!! :waving: