1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

florida folks and wood mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by muddstopper, Jun 7, 2007.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know whats the reason, but it seems that when people move to my area from Florida, none of them wants to use wood mulch around their homes. Is there a particualr reason for this? They all seem to want to use stone or gravel. The small pea gravel cost me $90 a ton plus delivery because it has to be hualed in long distance and that makes for a hard sell. Last job I estimated would have required 60 tons or abut $5400 for just the stone, that didnt fly to well. I am just courious why the Florida folks dont like the wood mulch.

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Main reason is bugs. I tend not to really believe it but these pest guys run around and say oh you have mulch around your going to have termites but i can spray for x amount of $$ and youll be fine. So they got most people especially the older ones scared that mulch brings termites.

3. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

It is not a matter of if you will get termites, it is a matter of when. That is just the way it is in Florida

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay but I dont belive mulch is a major player in it they just use that as a sales pitch good for them bad for us.