1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Flow meter

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Prefectturfnj, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Prefectturfnj

Prefectturfnj LawnSite Member

Anyone install any flow meters with the Hydrawise ?

did you run a separate trench for the shielded cable or run it with the main wire?

I read your suppose to keep them separate but in a diagram I seen it ran in the same trench as your valve wires also heard if you run it with your wires it can cause interference so just looking to get some opinion from anyone who has installed a few

2. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

Optimal Irrigation Corp. LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've installed about 60 of them. All of mine are inside the furnace / mechanical room in the house. I haven't used shielded cable on any of them and also wire the master valve (also in the house) in the same 20 gage 12 lead wire. Can't say I've had any issue with false readings or anything along those lines. The run of wire usually isn't very long in the ones I've installed (the timer is close by).
    The thing I don't understand about the shielded cable requirement is that the foot of wire or so coming out of the flow meter provided by Hunter isn't shielded, so couldn't you possibly have interference there even if you used shielded cable the rest of the way? Who knows, probably best to follow the manufacturers recommendations. I'll be looking into the shielded wire over the winter for the future installations.

Prefectturfnj likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Prefectturfnj

Thanks for your input 60+ is a lot haha I hope they take off like that around here . Trying to up sell controllers and flow meter combos . But I was thinking the same thing it’s not shielded out of the meter so why does it need to be shielded back to the clock .
    What brand of shielded wire have you been looking into ?

4. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

I've found them to be a relatively inexpensive way to give the contractor and homeowner quite a bit of information. Homeowners are mostly shocked when they realize how much water the irrigation system uses. It has also helped quantify exactly how much of the water bill is the irrigation system. In some areas up here the water bill is coupled with the electricity bill so the bills can become quite large over the summer (air conditioners) so it's nice to be able to tell homeowners how much of the bill is for irrigation.
    But to actually answer your question, I haven't really been looking at brands, I was more trying to figure out what it even was and where I could get it. Find it amusing that none of my four local suppliers (SiteOne, Central included) even carry any, you know, since it's required for the proper installation of the flow meter.

benhargreaves and Prefectturfnj like this.
  5. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I have plans to install a coupIe in the spring. I have been looking at the available flow meters(I install both RB and Hunter Controllers)and heard the twisted or shielded wire was for longer runs. I may try them at my house first.

6. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Quick heads up to all the cats north of the 49th parallel... when selecting the sensor type from the drop down menu in the hydrawise app for the flow meter make sure you select the '20mm BSP flow meter' option. If you select the '3/4 inch NPT flow meter' option like it says on the box then you'll be getting the wrong readings. Like I was. For a year.
    NPT stands for national pipe thread (imperial) and BSP stands for British standard pipe thread (metric).
    I'll head over to plowsite now.

benhargreaves and Prefectturfnj like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Prefectturfnj

Wow that’s shocking none of the suppliers you deal with don’t carry it , I’ll have to check out my site one and central and ask otherwise I guess you have to go to a electrical supply house

8. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

from Ontario

Yea, I'm sure if I asked them they would stock it. They've done that with other products. Especially SiteOne, the guys up here are great.

Prefectturfnj likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Prefectturfnj

site one is great so is central very helpful and knowledgeable I love having both as a place to go to ask questions as well as this site hahah I’m sure like you said if I asked them to get it they could I’ll have to stop in and ask