flower bed fertilization

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
How many of you all do flower bed fertilization?do a lot of your mowing/spray customers request this?seems like it can be a time consuming job if you work the fertilizer into soil for each plant.many homes in this area have large beds.im assuming a spray would be quicker but would need more frequent application.i fertilize my yard and 70+ plants once a year and they seem to do fine.would take me a couple hours to pull back mulch,work into soil,put mulch back and water which could be a problem since I'm on drip so i lazily just toss it around shrubs since its slow release.just curious if bed fertilization is worthwhile .i am part time and experiment on my yard and several family members.thank you for any help

OP
N

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
yes,I have the solo one and a hand one,but my concern comes with working the granular fertilizer into the top 1-3"of soil like most granular fertilizer ask to.my concern is if there are 1-3" of mulch that becomes a time consuming issue,unless anyone has had success with a slow release fertilizer getting to the base of the plant through the mulch.seems like wasted product and was wondering if a water soluble is more effective?thank you for link,didn't realize chapin had one also.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
I would apply an organic based granular fert to beds before mulching each year. I think any liquid would get tied up in the mulch.