Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a bit of an issue here. The landscape fabric is worn out so the bed is pretty much rocks on top of dirt. The rocks are a mixer of 2 different kinds of rocks, I personally prefer standard river rocks.

My idea is to remove the rocks, install landscape fabric new rocks and straighten out the edger blocks.
Road surface Asphalt Flooring Automotive tire Sidewalk

Plant Window Land lot House Grass

Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass Flooring

The next issue is the mailbox area. My idea is to remove the grass and and prep the area for annuals in the spring.

Is there a better way to approach thi

·
Registered
834 Posts
Landscape design is subjective, meaning what you like someone else may not. Having stated that, I would do a curved bed around the mailbox and go with perennials, unless the client has an unlimited budget. Annual rotations get expensive over the years and too many rectangular beds in a landscape can be boring and lack interest.

·
Registered
662 Posts
1st area - Dig a nice crisp live edge. Then replace fabric and rehab the rocks.

Mailbox area. Another nice crisp live edge lining up with one of the sidewalk seams. Deepen the edge next to the concrete sidewalk, driveway, and curb, so that nothing spills out. Then install rocks or mulch per the customer's preference. Add hostas, and perhaps an annual or 6. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Some good responses and ideas from the gang @FitzRightYardServices , here’s mine.

it looks like the rock is pushing out the pavers,i would see if their budget allows for another course so you could create a base with the first one, and another course ontop with Stone adhesive to prevent them from shifting if someone hits them with a mower. This may help but won’t completely stop what’s going on, hence trenching a base to put pavers on.

the mailbox I would think a semi circle around it, your on an area next to the street in what I call the inferno strip. It’s going to be hot so your plants will need to tolerate heat. In Nebraska, do they salt the roads during winter? That’s going to impact them as well. Perhaps a whiskey barrel with plants in it?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mailbox area. Another nice crisp live edge lining up with one of the sidewalk seams. Deepen the edge next to the concrete sidewalk, driveway, and curb, so that nothing spills out. Then install rocks or mulch per the customer's preference. Add hostas, and perhaps an annual or 6. Easy peasy.
My first thought was to live edge or add metal edging. I love working with the interlocking blocks cause they are easy. Your idea is right on point with what I envisioned.
Some good responses and ideas from the gang @FitzRightYardServices , here’s mine.

it looks like the rock is pushing out the pavers,i would see if their budget allows for another course so you could create a base with the first one, and another course ontop with Stone adhesive to prevent them from shifting if someone hits them with a mower. This may help but won’t completely stop what’s going on, hence trenching a base to put pavers on.

the mailbox I would think a semi circle around it, your on an area next to the street in what I call the inferno strip. It’s going to be hot so your plants will need to tolerate heat. In Nebraska, do they salt the roads during winter? That’s going to impact them as well. Perhaps a whiskey barrel with plants in it?
We get salted during the winter months. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My first thought was to live edge or add metal edging. I love working with the interlocking blocks cause they are easy. Your idea is right on point with what I envisioned.

We get salted during the winter months. Appreciate the input.
Please share when the work is done. You do nice crisp work - can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
19,226 Posts

You do live edges with rock? How do you redefine the edge? Maintain the edge? Redefiner would be impossible? String trimmer would throw rocks?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rake rocks away from the edge. Then redefine. Rake back when finished.
Ditto
Seriously? Wow that sounds labor intensive.
It is not that hard. If the edging is deep enough you don't even have to pull the rocks back. If I get the job I will record a showing what it looks like when you redefine it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts