Lawn Care Forum banner

Flyer Tips

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  A. W. Landscapers, Inc. 
#1 ·
This is my first attempt at making a flyer to advertise my services. Any comments/critiques will be greatly appreciated.

I do not have a logo at the moment. Not sure how to do one w/o paying someone.

Also, I put on here that I am licensed and insured but Im not planning on getting insurance till I get a few clients. Do you think that will pose a problem?

#3 ·
Doesn't seem like the best of ideas to advertise that you are insured when you are not. What are you going to do if someone calls because they see the flyer, and say:
I see that you are licensed and insured, come give me an estimate and bring a certificate of insurance.

If you are going to go into a business, do it right from the start. You will be a lot happier

#4 ·
Im working with an underwriter right now and have it set up to where all I have to do is call him and he will email me proof within 24 hrs.

#6 ·
Its a potential problem. There are people who's job is to bust fake contractors and people who falsely advertise. A policy in the next 24 hours won't take back an $800 ding on a new car.

You never know who's going to call you either. Earlier this year, I got a call from a lady who worked for the Agricultural commissioners office. Turned out to be a great client, but if had I fibed on some stuff, she could have shut me down quick.
Do as you wish, but if it bites back, you deserve it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
In the years I've been doing this I have never once been asked if I was insured, or "licensed." A while back I think I put that on some business cards but that was years ago and I don't anymore. Am I licensed (yes I have a business tax license) am I insured (yes, I'm drowning in insurance) but I don't advertise it as it's never been an issue as far as getting customers in my area. Now I don't do very much commercial work at all but you can bet that a commercial customer is going to want to see your insurance cert.

#8 ·
If you're not insured, do not falsely advertise that you are insured.

And if you intend on operating a legitimate business, get the necessary insurance.

#9 ·
I appreciate all the input. I have not put the brochures out yet. From the looks of it I really need to get that insurance before I advertise. I will try change my file settings and post what I have come up with for more critiques.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
- You should be using "suit", not "suite".
- I'd also recommend you sweep for punctuation issues.
- From a continuity standpoint, you vary between left-aligned and centered text. You can do both, you just didn't apply it uniformly (such as the text below the photo).
- Your contact form is in, what I assume to be, the center of the trifold. You're telling people to cut the middle out of your brochure. (Either way, I don't think you'll find too many people mail will mail that back to you, so it seems a bit "I don't know what else to put in here" filler.)

#16 ·
Suite...I didn't even pay attention to it. As I mentioned, this is my first draft and getting opinions. Center of the trifold was meant to be a fill in. Maybe I should put some more useful info in this area instead.

Other than grammatical errors is everything ok? I did this at 2 am. Should I go with a brochure style or a half page flyer? What works for better?

Thanks again.

#17 ·
Suite...I didn't even pay attention to it. As I mentioned, this is my first draft and getting opinions. Center of the trifold was meant to be a fill in. Maybe I should put some more useful info in this area instead.

Other than grammatical errors is everything ok? I did this at 2 am. Should I go with a brochure style or a half page flyer? What works for better?

Thanks again.
No

It looks like something I wouldn't pay any attention to. You have no attention or call to action. The blue back ground makes it very hard to read. Your fill out should be on the back page. Personally I wouldn't include that no one is going to do it

Paying a designer is worth the money.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
Tip: don't waste time flyering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed - spend your time and effort getting involved in your community and making connections. Join a local board, chamber of commerce, volunteer for a good cause. The people who are replying to a flyer want the cheapest price.

"Licensed and insured" is the most overused content I see on marketing material in the green industry. These two things have become table stakes and don't really set you apart.

#19 ·
Agreed - spend your time and effort getting involved in your community and making connections. Join a local board, chamber of commerce, volunteer for a good cause. The people who are replying to a flyer want the cheapest price.

"Licensed and insured" is the most overused content I see on marketing material in the green industry. These two things have become table stakes and don't really set you apart.
This is actually good to know. I would much rather meet face to face. I have been a volunteer medic in the community for 10 years and I should use this to my advantage.

As far as getting my name out of the community what would be the best way to approach some business accounts? I want to get an apt complex and maybe a c store chain.

#20 ·
If this is a trifold brochure, what are you putting on the other side??? Half of your brochure is blank. With a trifold brochure you have six panels to fill…three on one side of the page and three on the other side.

Personally, I don't like it at all. To me is screams, "look what I tried to do on my computer".

Put some money together for a marketing budget and get your marketing material professionally designed and printed…you will save time and money in the long run and you will have professional looking marketing materials to attract customers.

The whole purpose of marketing is to attract customers. Amateur quality marketing materials do exactly the opposite…they steer potential customers away.

If you haven't done it yet, spend some time writing down the content for your marketing material…Write a few paragraphs that describe your company and services and why people should choose you/your company. Is there something that separates you from the competition such as edging with an edger and not a trimmer turned on its side?

What message do you want to deliver with your marketing material? Low price will do anything for a buck…high end & expensive…average price/average work…etc. What's your message? Come up with some catch phrases that match your message…Professional lawn & yard care…your lawn deserves the best…etc.

These things will help your designer when he/she is creating your marketing material.

Lastly, I don't quite get the name of your company. I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest. I find the company name very confusing. I'm not even sure what the name of the company is, is it "Rescue Lawn Care" or is it "Rescued Lawn Care and Maintenance"? You have different names in different spots. You also use the word "I" to refer to yourself as a person instead of "we" to refer to the company…it should be "We have plans…" not "I have plans…" To me, "Rescued Lawn Care" means I should only use your company if my lawn needs to be "rescued". Since I know my lawn is in relatively good shape, I must not need your services…flyer, meet garbage can. I hope this helps.

#21 ·
If this is a trifold brochure, what are you putting on the other side??? Half of your brochure is blank. With a trifold brochure you have six panels to fill…three on one side of the page and three on the other side.

Personally, I don't like it at all. To me is screams, "look what I tried to do on my computer".

Put some money together for a marketing budget and get your marketing material professionally designed and printed…you will save time and money in the long run and you will have professional looking marketing materials to attract customers.

The whole purpose of marketing is to attract customers. Amateur quality marketing materials do exactly the opposite…they steer potential customers away.

If you haven't done it yet, spend some time writing down the content for your marketing material…Write a few paragraphs that describe your company and services and why people should choose you/your company. Is there something that separates you from the competition such as edging with an edger and not a trimmer turned on its side?

What message do you want to deliver with your marketing material? Low price will do anything for a buck…high end & expensive…average price/average work…etc. What's your message? Come up with some catch phrases that match your message…Professional lawn & yard care…your lawn deserves the best…etc.

These things will help your designer when he/she is creating your marketing material.

Lastly, I don't quite get the name of your company. I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest. I find the company name very confusing. I'm not even sure what the name of the company is, is it "Rescue Lawn Care" or is it "Rescued Lawn Care and Maintenance"? You have different names in different spots. You also use the word "I" to refer to yourself as a person instead of "we" to refer to the company…it should be "We have plans…" not "I have plans…" To me, "Rescued Lawn Care" means I should only use your company if my lawn needs to be "rescued". Since I know my lawn is in relatively good shape, I must not need your services…flyer, meet garbage can. I hope this helps.
Thanks for being honest. Great marketing tips. As far as the name I started out on the lawns that needed desperate care and attention. I have been leaning towards changing it to cornerstone lawn......that will go good with landscaping as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
Thanks for being honest. Great marketing tips. As far as the name I started out on the lawns that needed desperate care and attention. I have been leaning towards changing it to cornerstone lawn......that will go good with landscaping as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Question 1: What will your company be doing?

Question 2: What will you name your company so that potential clients will be able to immediately associate your name with the work you will be doing?

When Stewart Wiener started his mowing service he wisely chose the name "Stewart Mowing Service".:laugh:

#23 ·
Get a professional graphic artist, who has done some of these already. EDDM through the postal service works well, you can target areas you wish to work in. Also get copies of real estate transfers and mail higher assessments. You can get at your court house for a fee, works OK.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
This is my first post here, and if the mods choose to ban me, it may be my last. I stumbled across the site this morning and thought I could offer helpful marketing advice (with no sales pitch), so I registered. I don't own a green company, but many of my clients do. I do own a lawnmower, blower, trimmers, etc, but I don't expect the same results with my landscaping when I do the work myself vs. hiring an expert . Sure it would save me a ton of money, but my property wouldn't look the same.

The same goes for marketing. There is much more involved in sending out direct mail than meets the eye. It's not just about printing up some pretty postcards and putting a stamp on it and "seeing what happens". It's like me buying a shrub and digging a hole in the ground somewhere in the yard and saying, "let's hope it takes". Sure you may get lucky and the shrub might survive and you might get some calls from your cards, but why leave it to chance?

Take my advice. Use a marketing service that will help you design the right piece, and help you target the right people at the right time. It may cost you a penny or two more per home, but it may be the difference between your phone ringing, or just tossing hundred dollar bills out the window.

#25 ·
This is my first post here, and if the mods choose to ban me, it may be my last. I stumbled across the site this morning and thought I could offer helpful marketing advice (with no sales pitch), so I registered. I don't own a green company, but many of my clients do. I do own a lawnmower, blower, trimmers, etc, but I don't expect the same results with my landscaping when I do the work myself vs. hiring an expert . Sure it would save me a ton of money, but my property wouldn't look the same.

The same goes for marketing. There is much more involved in sending out direct mail than meets the eye. It's not just about printing up some pretty postcards and putting a stamp on it and "seeing what happens". It's like me buying a shrub and digging a hole in the ground somewhere in the yard and saying, "let's hope it takes". Sure you may get lucky and the shrub might survive and you might get some calls from your cards, but why leave it to chance?

Take my advice. Use a marketing service that will help you design the right piece, and help you target the right people at the right time. It may cost you a penny or two more per home, but it may be the difference between your phone ringing, or just tossing hundred dollar bills out the window.
Good advice.

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.