1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Flyers, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frosty03, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Sure I would like some more accounts, but are flyers really productive and worth the hassle? I have thought about it, but for me, I just haven't been able to justify them.

Would like some other points of view.

Thanks in advance.

Frosty

2. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

I use them two fold, the walking helps me get back in shape after the winter hibernation, and build tighter routes. For an example we've done just a few so far (600-700) I've gotten 3 calls and out of those 1 contract so far. This is about what I got as far as percentage's last year as well.

Good Luck on your decision. :weightlifter:

3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I made mine on the computer and purchased some light green paper and made my own copeis for around $18.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I always believed the 'biz' is mostly referral. No accounts = no referrals. The more accounts you have... the more referrals you get. Any advertising = good advertising.

Think about it this way... if your biz fails because of lack of advertising in any way... I'll bet you'll "advertise" your equipment for sale.

Besides, what's a little legwork in the off season... specially with flyers... you can target directly the customers you want, in time, creating a tighter route. The ultimate goal of any lawn service.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I have made flyers the last two years. I average around 1-2% yards for my effort. I did mine similiar to Budget. What I do is leave a blank line for the mowing (weekly) price and also leave a spot for my signature above my printed name. Kind of a personal touch. I figured not every yard was worth the same. I take a few minutes, look at the yard, price it, sign it, hang it and move on to the next one. Just one more thing to do in Jan & Feb. I really enjoy the angry folks who scream at me for leaving flyers!