• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Foam filled tires

jsteveharris

LawnSite Member
what do you think about foam filling the caster wheels or the velke wheeels? I have a lot of flats due to mowing new construction sites.

MOW ED

LawnSite Fanatic
Best thing you can do. Go to a local tire place in town. Mine has a min. charge of 25 per tire but well worth it in the long run. Be sure the tires you use are relatively new.

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Been discussed before.

DO IT!

My guy gets $18/min per tire. Tires last forever. Heavily grease your bearings and that tire/rim/bearing assembly will last for years.

It will make your tires heavy!

lawn and stump

LawnSite Member
how does it work on velke tires? I bought one of the
never flat tires they sell in parts catologes and it jarred our brains out my guys won't put it back on.

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
They are a BIT stiffer, but I think that totally depends how the foam fill them. They're not solid rubber.

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
I'd do it on a Velke or caster tire. I wouldn't do it on a ZTR drive tire. It would be too rough.

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Right on, bob.

We don't fill our Lazer & Z-Master drive tires. Plus I suppose a 24x12x12 tire would be $$$$$.

Stonewall

LawnSite Senior Member
Has anybody ever tried some of the no-flat gel to flat proof their tires? It's kind of pricey and weighs about as much as water.

Mark

LawnSite Senior Member
Having your caster tires and velke tires filled is the only way to go. I used to get so many flats around thorn trees, I agree with Lazer drive tires would be $$$$. And i hardly ever get flats on them just the castor fronts.